For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
44 10 13 14

Real-Time - Optimized: Change in Service Discovery Request for WebSocket API - Ticket 13104

Hi Team,

I got an notification (https://my.refinitiv.com/content/mytr/en/pcnpage/13104.html?utm_source=Refinitiv&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Change_Notification&utm_content=PCN) today from Refinitiv where they have suggested to change the Service Discovery method code from:

1629471657684.png

To:

1629471721920.png

Looks like this change is applicable from 2nd Sep 2021.

Questions:

What happened if we don't make these changes before 2nd Sep 2021? Will the Refinitiv WebSocket API application stop working?

How to test these changes? I made the required changes but after making the changes my service stop working as I am not able to find any host and it's port.

websocketsrrtorefinitiv-realtime-optimised
1629471657684.png (409.2 KiB)
1629471721920.png (304.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
17.2k 82 39 63

Hi @pradeep.badoni

The current list of available regions, and the endpoins they map to, when using the streaming discovery service are:

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks @nick.zincone.1

Appreciated.

Upvotes
17.2k 82 39 63

Hi @pradeep.badoni

Did you change the value of your location (_region) according to the instructions, i.e.

"Some example WebSocket code have been using the location variable as ‘amers’ or ‘emea’. This should be changed to specify an AWS region such as “us-east-1” or “eu-west-1”."

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @nick.zincone.1

Are we saying that we also need to change the value of region?

Currently we have created drop-down for region in my service configuration where user can choose a region where they want to connect. Currently we just have three option here.

1629516272385.png

For this new change, do we have list of all given regions? so that I can add them in the drop-down list so that user can choose what region they want to connect.

Thanks

Pradeep B

1629516272385.png (3.9 KiB)
Hi @pradeep.badoni

Yes, the intention of the notification was to allow for a more granular selection of the streaming endpoint. You can perform this selection any way you wish. However, if you inject the selection you presently have into the new algorithm, it won't work. See the additional answer I provided.

Hi @nick.zincone.1

Did you get any chance to look into the below where I am looking for all possible location/region list?

Also, Do we know how to connect to which AWS region and suggest the same to our client?

Thanks

Pradeep B

Hi @pradeep.badoni

Are you aware of performing the streaming discovery service to retrieve all available services?

https://apidocs.refinitiv.com/Apps/ApiDocs#/details/L3N0cmVhbWluZy9wcmljaW5nL3Yx/Lw==/GET/PLAYGROUND

Upvote
17.2k 82 39 63

Hi @pradeep.badoni

If you look at the list of streaming endpoints, you can see they have changed since you first adopted the initial algorithm. For example, there are 3 new ones (us-east-2a, ..., us-east-2b).. There is nothing stopping the streaming services team to add new ones. The current algorthim for selection will likely choose the same streaming endpoint, which would put most users on the same service as opposed to distributing the load.

The algorithm is a guide - not a hardcoded requirement. You can still choose the endpoint based on your hardcoded regions, but you will have to change your algorithm to choose an appropriate one. As I mentioned above, the notification is recommending you choose your endpoint based on a more granular region, not 'amers', 'apac', 'emea' because you will likely always choose the same one from each region. While 'apac' and 'emea' presently have 3 to choose from, this could grow. I would suggest that your drop-down be dynamically created based on discovery as opposed to hard-coding. This way, you can have the complete list available for users.

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @nick.zincone.1

Thanks for the above explanation.

Unfortunately I am not able to access the below link:

https://apidocs.refinitiv.com/Apps/ApiDocs#/details/L3N0cmVhbWluZy9wcmljaW5nL3Yx/Lw==/GET/PLAYGROUND

having the access validation error.

Is there any other way to get the complete list of location along with there region?

Thanks

Pradeep B

Hi @pradeep.badoni

The above link is to access the API Playground: https://apidocs.refinitiv.com/Apps/ApiDocs#/.

Do you have access, or have you visited this site in the past? The link pointed to the /streaming/pricing/v1 endpoint which provides the ability to retrieve all the available streaming endpoint services. While I can provide you a hard-coded list of them, that will likely change over time.

I believe when you signed up, you were provided a Welcome email that included a Machine ID and user ID. The user ID was provided for you to access the Playground.

Hi @nick.zincone.1

No luck.

Please provide me the list for now.

Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.