question

Upvotes
Accepted
55 3 4 6

Why doesn't rdp.open_desktop_session raise an exception?

Why doesn't rdp.open_desktop_session('xxxxxxxxxx') raise an exception when it can not connect? It only writes to stout. That makes it impossible to handle/notify connection problems...

You can try the code below (while the Desktop is closed):

import refinitiv.dataplatform as rdp
try:
    rdp.open_desktop_session('<APIKey>')
except:
    print("You should see this print on exception")

Also, is there somewhere a proper documentation of the RDP library, I mean not those 6 pages docs but with all functions/methods/errors etc...?

rdp-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @sdittmar

Just to confirm that the above issue has been reported to both the RD Python Library and RDP Python library teams and should be addressed in a future release of each library.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @sdittmar

In addition to my colleague's reply, I would recommend you look at the newer RD Library for Python - which is currently in Beta and due for release in the coming months.

It should have much-improved error/session handling than RDP Library once it is released.
It will also have fuller documentation - I have been advised by the RD Library team that they are awaiting the completion of the documentation to confirm the release date.

For a position statement on the older RDP Library please see the overview page.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.