Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
7 1 1 6

news.get_headlines - how to include column for RICS

Hi

I am using Refinitiv Data library to collect news articles in Python, which is working fine.

Any idea of how I can return the list of RICS that the article relates to, just like News Monitor does in Eikon Desktop. I've included a snapshot of what I need below.

Here is my current code:

reg_df = pd.DataFrame(columns=['timestamp_API', 'RIC', 'headline', 'story', 'storyid'])
headlines = rd.news.get_headlines('R:TSLA.O', 
                                  start='2023-09-01T09:00:00', 
                                  end='2023-11-08T23:59:00', #API is 1hr behind the UK
                                  count = 100)
headlines = headlines.reset_index()
temp_df = pd.DataFrame(columns=['timestamp_API', 'headline', 'story', 'storyid'])
for index, row in headlines.iterrows():    
    newsText = rd.news.get_story(row['storyId'], format=rd.news.Format.TEXT) #get the news story
    temp_df.loc[index] = [row['versionCreated'], row['headline'], newsText, row['storyId']]
    time.sleep(1)
company_news_df = pd.concat([reg_df, temp_df], ignore_index=True)
display(company_news_df)

A snapshot of what I'm after in the dataframe is attached.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanksrefinitiv-ric-snapshot.png

#technologyricsnewsrdp
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @di.ti ,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?
If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,
AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,
AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
10.2k 18 6 9

@di.ti Thanks for your question - so to do this you would need to use the RD Library - which is our latest library providing access to EIkon/Workspace services as well as newer services on the Data Platform. You can use both RD services as well as the Eikon Data API from the same library. First you need to install the library:

pip install refinitiv-data

once this is installed you can:

import refinitiv.data as rd
# import refinitiv.data.eikon as ek #you can also use the Eikon Data API from here
from refinitiv.data.content import news
from IPython.display import HTML
import pandas as pd
rd.open_session()
# ek.set_app_key('Your_AppKey_Here')
dNow = datetime.now().date()
maxenddate = dNow - timedelta(days=7) #upto months=15
compNews = pd.DataFrame()
riclist = ['VOD.L','HD','MSFT.O'] # can also use Peers, Customers, Suppliers, Monitor, Portfolio to build universe

for ric in riclist:
    try:
        cHeadlines = rd.news.get_headlines("R:" + ric + " AND Language:LEN", start= str(dNow), end = str(maxenddate), count = 10)
        cHeadlines['cRIC'] = ric
        if len(compNews):
            compNews = pd.concat([compNews,cHeadlines])
        else:
            compNews = cHeadlines
    except Exception:
        pass

compNews

1699618335706.png

Now you need to use the delivery layer of the RD Library to make an endpoint request to the news story endpoint to access additional metadata such as story text, topic codes etc. We will get all the topic codes and then extract the PermIDs that were tagged for this article.

# For each news headline get story text and topic codes

baseurl = "/data/news/v1/stories/"
fullcodelist = pd.DataFrame()
compNews['storyText'] = str()
compNews['q_codes'] = str()
compNews['sentiment'] = str()
compNews['cos_mentioned'] = str()

for i, uri in enumerate(compNews['storyId']):
    rics=[]
    request_definition = rd.delivery.endpoint_request.Definition(
        url = baseurl + uri,
        method = rd.delivery.endpoint_request.RequestMethod.GET
    )
    response = request_definition.get_data()
    time.sleep(0.1)
    rawr = response.data.raw
    #print(rawr)
    if 'newsItem' in rawr.keys():
        compNews['storyText'][i] = rawr['newsItem']['contentSet']['inlineData']['$']
        topics = rawr['newsItem']['contentMeta']['subject']
        compNews['q_codes'][i] = [d['_qcode'] for d in topics]
        compNews['cos_mentioned'][i] = [x for x in compNews['q_codes'][i] if x.startswith("P:")]

compNews

1699618763311.png

So in the column compNew['cos_mentioned'] we have a list of PermIDs that were mentioned in the article. You want to use PermIDs as these will include private companies that may not have a RIC. You can then pass the PermIDs to other functions such as rd.get_data() to get additional reference and fundamental information. I hope this can help.

1699618335706.png (322.5 KiB)
1699618763311.png (185.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @jason.ramchandani01

You can also use the refinitiv library to go through the dataframe with story ids to get the RIC codes:

from refinitiv.data.content import news
storyid = 'urn:newsml:reuters.com:20231110:nRTV8tfcw0:4'
story_data = news.story.Definition(storyid).get_data()

rics = [i['_qcode'][2:] for i in story_data._raw['newsItem']['assert'] if i['_qcode'].startswith("R:")]

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.