Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 3 5 5

Extracting all historical companies listed on the ASX using the Python API?

I've been using Eikon to extract the historical All Ordinaries Index from the ASX at various points in time (e.g. 10 years ago). However, I need a more complete list of companies as some are missing. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a complete list at various points in time of all the companies listed on the ASX?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@jack.simpson0
Thank you for your participation in the forum. Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply that best answers your question. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.
Thanks,
-AHS

Hello @jack.simpson0

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?
If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,
AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
79.2k 251 52 74

It looks similar to this question.

From TR function, you can convert it to Eikon Data API, as shown below.

data = ek.get_data(".ATOI", 
                   ["TR.IndexConstituentRIC",";TR.IndexConstituentName"],
                   {'SDate':'2016-10-01',                     
                    'CH':'Fd', 
                    'RH': 'IN'})
data

The output is:

atoi.png (19.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Apologies I accidentally added '100' to the question title when I meant how to find the complete list of all companies on the ASX (not just the 100 or 500)

I don't believe there's any way to retrieve a complete exchange listing as of a historical date using Eikon. To confirm this you may want to reach out to Thomson Reuters Helpdesk by either calling the Helpdesk number in your country or by using Contact Us capability in Eikon application. When contacting the Helpdesk ask if there's any way to retrieve complete exchange listing as of a historical date into Excel. If the Helpdesk can provide an Excel worksheet function that returns the desired result, it should be possible to replicate it using the API.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.