question

Upvotes
Accepted
48 3 12 11

How do I identify different consumer processes in ADS if I have multiple EMA consumers ?

I need an ID to associate the ADS consumer with the process on my local machine

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdkema-apirrtelektron-message-apiADS
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I can see each process in ADS has an AppID and an identifier. can I use either of these in EMA to differentiate between subscribers?

Hello @duncan_kerr

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Hello @duncan_kerr

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @duncan_kerr

I don't currently have access to an ADS monitor - so, can you confirm what the identifier consists of - does it correlate to any ID in your consumer config? I suspect it may just be some arbitrary value allocated by the ADS.

In terms of the AppID - you should be able to set this using the OmmConsumerConfig:applicationID() function - Must be unique for each application. Range 257 to 65535 is available for site-specific use. Range 1 to 256 is reserved.

You should, however, check with your Market Data team before using a particular value - many MDS / DACS Admin teams allocate unique AppIDs to individual applications - for the purposes of tracking data usage.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
48 3 12 11

Hi Umer - Ive been experimenting, and it seems I can set AppId as a string. this can then be used to identify processes in ADSmon, ADHmon and their error logs. It also doesnt seem to break DACS. Can you comment on this approach pls? Here you can see my name in ADSmon:

1591605809585.png (7.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @duncan_kerr

This would be counter to our API and TREP + DACS documentation and therefore I cannot say what if any side effects it would have - if not now, then in the future (if they decided to enforce the restrictions specified in my reply above).

I will ask internally from the TREP experts and if I get anything meaningful back I will post here.

icon clock
10 |1500

thanks. If it does turn out to be a problem, could you ask the experts if they can think of an alternative? It can be very time consuming debugging 100's of consumers without knowing which one is which!

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @duncan_kerr

I did ask but I did not hear back - I have chased again.

You mentioned local machine previously - so, just to be clear - are these

1. multiple instances of the same consumer application running on your PC
  2. different consumer apps on your PC?

Is there a particular reason you cannot use a numeric ID for each app/instance?

icon clock
10 |1500

Umer - the reason numneric IDs are difficult is that ine would always have to lookup what each one means. Also I have many people running apps against an ADS, so It'd be imopossible to keep track of numeric IDs. Can I suggest that if AppIds are no good, then to add a new field (AppName) which gets logged in error logs and displayed in ADSmon. It would be hugely useful.

Duncan

Hi @duncan_kerr

Does each user not have a unique DACS ID, as well as position?

I can certainly suggest this to the product team but I am not sure likely it would be to be added - as it would require changes to multiple components, the APIs, the TREP components such as ADS and ADH as well as the Dacs server.

Most other organisations do have a central AppId register and the Market Data team or DACs admin team usually allocate unique IDs to each application.

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @duncan_kerr

When the DACs expert did some tests using 'dunc' as the AppID, it was replaced with 256 (default) in the DACS server.

You can ask your DACS team to login to DACS UI and see what your Appid is showning up as.

The official guidance is that whilst using the non-numeric value may work for now in terms of ADS monitoring etc, this can't be guaranteed in the future.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.