Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 1 1 4

conda package for eikon scripting api

The eikon Python wheel is up on pypi.org so is pip installable but there is no corresponding conda package. Are there any objections from TR to my posting a conda package to my anaconda.org account so that its easily installable by others using conda?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
21.8k 57 14 21

As of yet, the Eikon Scripting API is in early beta, and undergoing version changes on almost bi-weekly basis. Your package might be obsolete as soon as it is uploaded.

Also, installing package using pip, after activating conda environment works just fine.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
5 1 1 4

Thanks @Gurpreet - I'm fine with keeping it up to date - it's all of a 1min job to build and publish.

It's certainly possible to install using pip into a conda environment but it's usually a bad idea because of the dependencies - conda doesn't recognise pip installed deps so you can get duplicate packages installed possibly of different versions and uninstalling one version borks the other.

For conda users it's much easier to keep everything managed with conda as far as is possible so I tend to make the effort to create a package if one doesn't already exist. All the `eikon` deps are already available as conda packages so it's pretty straightforward.

icon clock
10 |1500

Thanks @david.hirschfeld

Just heard from another client that he tried installing via "conda" as well. It would be good if we can distribute the package there as well for all the Anaconda users. For those who are not very experienced with Python the packaging/environments can sometimes be a bit confusing...

Upvotes
5 1 1 4

If you happen to be on win64 and using py36 then the following should work:

conda install -c dhirschfeld eikon

It seems no new package has been published for ~2 months now. I would highly recommend developing the package in the open. There's nothing confidential in the source since anyone who installs it can see the code anyway. By developing in the dark you're keeping your users in the dark and robbing yourselves of the opportunity for community contributions.

icon clock
10 |1500

I actually get the error

PackageNotFoundError: Dependency missing in current win-64 channels:
- eikon -> websocket-client

You'll also need the `conda-forge` channel to get that package.

λ conda search websocket-client
Fetching package metadata .....................................
websocket-client             0.37.0              py27_0  conda-forge
<snip>
                             0.44.0              py27_0  conda-forge
                             0.44.0              py35_0  conda-forge
                          *  0.44.0              py36_0  conda-forge

The full install command would then be:

conda install -c dhirschfeld -c conda-forge eikon
Upvotes
1 0 0 1

Hi @Dave Hirschfeld and @Gurpreet /TR Team, I used the above command to install the eikon package, but noticed it is not updated to the current version. Is there any way we can get the updated Eikon 1.0.1 version in a conda install? I was trying to create one on my own but seem to be running into dependency issues. I am currently unable to directly install anything using pip due to firewall issues and am trying to avoid opening a port. Thank you!

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.