Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 2 3 4

What are the thresholds for API calls via the Python API for Eikon

Hi,

We are trying to extract close prices for some indices via the python API but are repeatedly getting timeout issues. Is there any thresholds for python API.

our inputs are 15 days gap between start and end date. passing around 200 list of RICS.

ek.get_timeseries(listOfRICs,'*',start_date = startDate,end_date=endDate,interval='daily',raw_output=True)

Thanks.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apitime-seriesthreshold
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question. Thanks, AHS

Hello again!

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Hi @puneet.mahajan.

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks

AHS

@puneet.mahajan

Is this still an outstanding issue for you? Can you please provide information requested by Alex to investigate the issue further?

But if it resolved, please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

@puneet.mahajan

If the issue has been resolved, can you please come back and share the answer which will benefit other community members for a similar question.

Otherwise, kindly provide the information required by @Alex Putkov. to investigate this issue further. Thank you in advance.

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Hi Uday,

Eikon API Proxy throttles requests to the max rate of 3 per second. If you're sending a single request for 188 RICs you won't be affected by the throttling at all. If you send multiple requests in quick succession you will be affected by throttling, but I don't think the throttling would result in the timeout errors you experienced. On my end I have no problem at all retrieving timeseries of the last 15 daily close values for 188 RICs in a single request. I can also request timeseries in a loop. When I do that the requests are queued by the Eikon API Proxy and sent upstream at the rate of 3 requests per second. I have not experienced any timeout errors while doing this.
Can you provide more details on the patterns of the timeout errors you've seen? Are you able to retrieve any timeseries at all? Do you always get a timeout whenever you request timeseries? Or does this only happen under certain conditions?

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
166 13 18 21

The output is currently limited at 3,000 (shared limit), so your list of 200 RICs will only get you 15 rows.

Please also see the following questions:

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/15616/eikon-scripting-api-issues-with-timeseries.html

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/6355/bug-in-get-timeseries.html

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 2 3 4

Hi Joris,

Thanks for your reply, But we are not crossing 3000 definitely.

we are passing exactly 188 RIC id's in list and 15 days gap between start and end date always.

Max number should be 2820.

Is there any time interval also between each request or specific number of requests in an interval.

Thanks,

Uday

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.