question

Upvotes
Accepted
154 16 24 35

Temporary failure in name resolution

I run RFA Java consumer application on a new RHEL machine but it cannot connect to EZD host

10.201.22.45 on port 14002. From the RFA log file, it shows the error that

“RSSL Connection failed for 10.201.22.45: RHEL: RHEL: Temporary failure in name resolution.”

What is it? Does RFA support IP Address in the serverList configuration or the host name should be used instead?

treprfarfa-apiOMMrssl
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
9.6k 10 7 7

The error “Temporary failure in name resolution.” occurs when underlying Java tries to resolve the IP Address of EZD server in the serverList configuration back to the host name and this failed. Even you change the IP Address in the serverList configuration to the host name, the error still occurs because Java cannot resolve the hostname back to the IP Address as well.

To solve the problem, you need to add <the server IP> <the server host name> to /etc/hosts on the machine running RFA Java application. For example:

10.201.22.45  EZDServer

This will make Java can resolve the IP Address back to the server and vise versa.

In addition, RFA Java supports both IP Address and host name in serverList configuration as explained in section 3.2.1 RSSL Connection of RFAJ_ConfigLoggingGuide.pdf shown below:

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

What?? This is news to me. Are you saying that Java will attempt a name lookup even if you use a literal IP address? This just negates everything I know about Java. I think the error is more likely to come from failure to reverse lookup the name of the local host, not the remote host. Hence I would be surprised if it helps to put in the name of the remote host into /etc/hosts as you suggest. (why the literal name of the local host is needed by the RSSL protocol is another story)

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.