Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
42 9 6 13

retrieving broken down by quarter - from the TR Eikon API Proxy

When you open up Eikon, type in <AAPL> (Apple Inc), select <Financials>, in <Financials> select <Cash Flow>, then for <period> select <TTM> (=trailing twelve months). Then you get an overview of the <Cash from Operating Activities> broken down by quarter. In this case (AAPL) you get 64,068 - 66,339 - 65,417 - 65,824 - 63,173, for Jul-2017 thru Jun-2016.

Now my QUESTION: How can I retrieve this from the TR Eikon API Proxy? (If I use TR.CashFromOperatingAct(Period=FY0) then I get an error (AttributeError: 'BlockManager' object has no attribute ’T), meanwhile I am not convinced that this is the proper indicator.)

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@vanderkroon

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

@vanderkroon

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Here's the call:
ek.get_data('AAPL.O',['TR.CashFromOperatingAct.date','TR.CashFromOperatingAct'],{'SDate':0, 'EDate':-4, 'Period':'LTM', 'FRQ':'FI'})
I would strongly recommend modeling your data retrieval in Excel where you can take advantage of GUI based helpers to discover metadata and figure out parameters you need to use. This tutorial talks about metadata discovery at length.
https://developers.thomsonreuters.com/eikon-web-and-scripting-apis/learning?content=14707&type=learning_material_item
And if you cannot figure out the parameters you need to use in Excel, you can always call Thomson Reuters Helpdesk and Helpdesk representative will be happy to guide you.
Once you figured out how to retrieve data into Excel, translating it into Eikon Python syntax is quite trivial.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks Alex. FYI: this client is running MacOS so he using the Eikon API with the Eikon Web version.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.