Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
98 28 33 36

Python: Eikon is generating unrequested dates for some ID's, using get_data.

I have the following code that requests local returns for a list of companies.

import pandas as pd
import eikon as ek #import Eikon module
import datetime
import time

start_time=time.time()
ek.set_app_id('someId') #setting AppID
#Getting a list of dates
start=datetime.date(2017,11,27)
end=datetime.date.today() - datetime.timedelta(days=1)
row_dates=[x.strftime('%m/%d/%Y') for x in pd.bdate_range(start,end).tolist()]
#getting identifiers to be used on Eikon
csv_data=pd.read_csv('identifiers_test.csv', header=None)
identifiers=csv_data[0].tolist()

This is a list with 2500 identifiers or so (all SEDOLS).

To request the returns, I do this:

df=ek.get_data(identifiers,["TR.TotalReturn.Date","TR.TotalReturn"], {'SDate': row_dates[0], 'EDate': row_dates[len(row_dates)-1], 'Frq':'D'})[0]

To pivot the table, and re-arrange it in a way that I can have dates as column headers and identifiers as indexes without being repeated, I do this:

df=pd.crosstab(df.Instrument, df.Date,values=df['Total Return'], aggfunc='mean')

But the outcome is really strange, it places columns with dates that I didn't even requested, filled with NaN's, and I would like to know how to filter that info. I already tried a couple of approaches with dropna() and other Pandas functions but I can't seem to get them to work :(, I'll attach 2 photos so you can see what I'm talking about).

And it properly shows dates I've requested, like this (shown 28-Nov, 29-Nov and 30-Nov. Not displaying in the picture but appeared properly in the dataframe, are 27-Nov and 01-Dec).

How can I get rid of those dates? Obviously these dates were produced by Eikon's API, somehow. I printed the original dataframe into a CSV file, I should have only 5 dates, I obviously found more. I can't upload the screencapture for this since this forum doesn't allow more than 2 image uploads.

Why Eikon does this? Is there a way to ellude it? A way to fix it? I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonworkspacerefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspace-data-apipandas
foto-eikon-1.jpg (31.4 KiB)
foto-eikon-2.jpg (41.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Can you share the list of 2500 identifiers? I have used you code with some instruments and it works fine. I am using Eikon 0.1.9.

dataframe.png (55.8 KiB)

files.zipHello @jirapongse.phuriphanvichai, here I uploaded two files. The first one has all the identifiers I use for this code. And the other file is where I saw which SEDOL's are giving me issues.

Is there a way to code an exception for these type of errors?

files.zip (12.1 KiB)

I can not reproduce the issue by requesting the same data for S&P 500 constituents, so there might be an issue with one of the instruments in your list

Yes, I'm guessing that as well. But why? I mean, how does Eikon handle errors with identifiers? Is there a way to detect/handle that kind of error and delete it from the outcome?

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
4.6k 26 7 22

Ok, I was able to get the list of the instruments, that are generating incorrect dates, you can use the following code:

instruments = {}

for ix, row in df.iterrows():
    instruments.setdefault(row[1], set()).add(row[0])

instrument

A quick manual check shows that the incorrect date is when the asset traded last, for example:

B2Q1MC6 (PGD.P) - 5th of September
B4TDMX4 (SBV.P) - 19th of September

Etc.

So, when you are requesting the latest Total return value, what it can give you is the last possible estimate.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Do you know a way to code a 'filter' for these unrequested dates? Since they are very specific, I didn't find a 'conventional way' that works.

e.g: I cannot use dropna() pandas function because, even though these dates are mostly filled with NA's, a single return value is not a NaN, so I can't use that solution.

you can drop the rows that have the dates that are not equal to the requested range with the standard pandas function

I tried another approach that worked:

added this after the crosstab line:

df=df[row_dates]

Before doing that, I had to convert the Date column to Datetime using:

df['Date']=pd.to_datetime(df['Date']) 
df['Date'] = df['Date'].dt.strftime('%m/%d/%Y')

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.