Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 1 1 3

Total return time series request

Is there a way to get a total return time series for a given equity (e.g., IBM)? I'm able to get the total return for an equity for a single day, but not every day between a start date and end date.

get_data("IBM=", fields = "TR.TotalReturn(Frq=D)")  <--- Gives me total return on the day you run it. 

I can see how this is done in Excel. E.g.,

=TR($D$5,"TR.TotalReturn1D.date;TR.TotalReturn1D","Frq=NA SDate=#1 EDate=#2  CH=Fd NULL=ZERO",,edate,sdate)
eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apir
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @johnverberkmoes

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?
If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,
AHS

Hi @johnverberkmoes, are you based in The Netherlands?

Upvote
Accepted
79.2k 251 52 74

You can specify SData, EDate, and other options from Excel to the parameters argument in Python. For example, the python code is:

data_grid, err = ek.get_data(
    "IBM",
    fields = ['TR.TotalReturn1D.date','TR.TotalReturn1D'],
    parameters={'SDate':'2018-02-01','EDate':'2018-04-03','Frq':'D','CH':'Fd'})

The output is:

datagrid.png (21.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Great. That worked.

Syntax for the R library in case anyone cares.

get_data("IBM", fields = list('TR.TotalReturn1D.date','TR.TotalReturn1D'),parameters=list(SDate ='2018-02-01' ,EDate='2018-04-03',Frq='D',CH='Fd'))

Upvotes
63 10 17 19

@jirapongse.phuriphanvichai is it possible to get index total returns? I was looking for the TR for the Straits Times index (.STI)

ek.get_data( ".STI", fields = ['TR.TotalReturn1D.date','TR.TotalReturn1D'], parameters={'SDate':'2019-03-01','EDate':'2019-03-05','Frq':'D','CH':'Fd'})

This is the response

Out[43]: ( Instrument Date Daily Total Return

0 .STI 2019-03-01T00:00:00Z NaN

1 .STI 2019-03-04T00:00:00Z NaN

2 .STI 2019-03-05T00:00:00Z NaN, None)

Thanks

icon clock
10 |1500

@rajanraju
If you'd like to ask a new question, please always start a new thread. Threads that already have an accepted answer are not monitored by moderators. If you post your question on an existing thread, there's a high chance it will not receive an answer because nobody will see your post.

To the best of my knowledge total returns for indices are not available through Eikon Data APIs. For an authoritative answer you may contact Refinitiv Helpdesk and ask if total returns for indices can be retrieved into Excel using a formula. If this data is available through =TR function in Eikon Excel, it is also available through Eikon Data APIs and vice versa.
If your Eikon subscription includes Datastream for Office, you may be able to retrieve total returns for indices using Datastream Web Service.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.