For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 1 3 7

time for data extraction for instrument prices by dss api

i am trying to extract instrument prices for 50 instruments but it takes lot of time for output. almost 40-50 seconds.

dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdsspricing
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question. Thanks, AHS

Upvote
Accepted
13.7k 26 8 12

@nimesh.jain, yes, if you increase the number of items you can expect the extraction time to increase. Extraction time depends on several parameters:

• Number of items
  • Number of data fields
  • Date range of the query
  • Amount of data
  • Server load

It is impossible to calculate the time for an extraction, it varies too much. I tried making the same query repeatedly and measuring the extraction time, the variance was high. Experience will give you a feeling for the type of time you can expect.

The obvious rule of thumb is: the more data you request, the longer it will take.

That said, it is more efficient to make one request for many RICs, rather than many requests for few RICs, because of the overhead. See this document for tips on optimizing your requests.

The maximum number of instruments depends on the type of data you request. See this document for a discussion on several limits, and this page for all the limits per data type.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
13.7k 26 8 12

@nimesh.jain, you do not mention if you are using the SOAP or REST API, nor what kind of prices or how many fields you are extracting, but I a not surprised by what you observe, 40-50 seconds is the type of performance you can expect from DSS, which is not a real-time product.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 1 3 7

@Christiaan Meihsl. I am using REST API for extraction. i am extracting 12 fields from the end of day pricing template.

icon clock
10 |1500

@nimesh.jain, 40-50 seconds is typical of the type of performance you can expect in this case.

Upvotes
3 1 3 7

@Christiaan Meihsl this is the case when i try to extract 60 instruments. will the time increase if i try to extract 350-400 instruments through REST API in one go. Also i wanted to know what is the maximum number of instruments i can use in on request.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.