Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 3

price data not populating

I'm reading in historical stock prices using:

df = ek.get_timeseries(tickers, 'CLOSE',start_date='2013-01-02', end_date='2018-07-02')

when I print or export to excel I only see daily close prices from 4/30/18 to 7/02/18. So the end date is correct but the start date isn't as per what was specified in the equation (1/2/2013).

Is this an issue with the code or maybe with my app key/permissioning? My account rep/manager approved me for 50 stocks, going back 10 years. So not sure why this is happening. Thanks.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Yes, the 3K rows limit is regardless of your Eikon account. It is aimed to protect the backend infrastructure. If you need more that 3K rows of price history you need to execute multiple get_timeseries methods.
To retrieve monthly timeseries use interval='monthly' keyword argument, e.g.

ek.get_timeseries('TRI.N', 'CLOSE',start_date='2013-01-02', end_date='2018-07-02',interval='monthly')
For full list of parameters you can use with get_timeseries method see Eikon Data APIs for Python Reference Guide available under the Documentation tab on Eikon Data APIs page on this portal.
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

I think you're likely hitting the 3K limit on the number of rows returned by any single get_timeseries call for any interday interval. This limit is shared by all RICs in the request. Here are the links to a couple of previous threads on the subject.
https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/22511/max-rics-for-get-timeseries-request.html

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/21902/python-amount-of-datapoints-allowed-per-request.html

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 3

Thx Alex. So this is a limitation (3k rows) that will exist regardless of the account?

Also, how can I modify my ek.get_timeseries to pull monthly closes instead of daily?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.