Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 1 0 2

is it possible to pull in a historical time series of metadata, e.g. 'CONTR_MNTH'?

specifically i'm trying to do something like ek.get_timeseries(['S-BRZPAR-B1'],start_date='2005-01-01',fields=['CONTR_MNTH']) where the goal is to view the contract month referenced by 'S-BRZPAR-B1' over time

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apimetadata
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@COFFIN
Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply by @Zhenya Kovalyov with the link to an example on another thread helpful in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.
Thanks,
-AHS

No, he misunderstood my question and never replied to my follow-ups below.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

The history for both the delivery month and the basis month for these RICs is available in Excel through RHistory function and through Eikon .NET API. Unfortunately it's not yet available through Eikon Data APIs.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

could you give an example of how to retrieve this with the RHistory function? I installed the excel add-ins and am reading through what i think is the official documentation (http://training.thomsonreuters.com/docs/attachments//shared/eikon_office_quick_start_guide.pdf) but the examples given don't even work

Here's an example:

=RHistory("S-BRZPAR-B1","NDA_RAW.Nda_date;NDA_RAW.Nda_delivered_in;NDA_RAW.Nda_delivered_out","INTERVAL:1D START:2018-01-01 END:2018-10-24",,"CH:Fd")

You may want to watch a quick training video titled "Formula Builder - An Introduction" available by clicking Help - Thomson Reuters Eikon - Microsoft Office Help under Thomson Reuters tab in Excel ribbon. In the pop up window select Formula Builder.

Great, thank you Alex

Upvotes
4.6k 26 7 22

S-BRZPAR-B1 is a spot quote and not a futures. The corresponding futures code is Sc1, and you can not get a historic contract month, unfortunately, but you can calculate one from the trading date.

See this for example.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 1 0 2

the spot quotes implicitly reference a future month period. the description is 'Yellow Soybeans Paranagua Brazil FOB Bid 1' - the '1' references either '1 month ahead', or '1st position', i think, so i'm trying to figure out which it is (same applies to S-BRZPAR-B[2-4].) how do i calculate the reference month from the trading date?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 1 0 2

maybe this is more helpful - if i pull spot metadata (ek.get_data()) on the instruments below for 'CONTR_MNTH' and 'DATE_RANGE', i can see the data i'm looking for. I want to be able to look this data up on a historical basis (which, if it doesn't exist in your api, it definitely should):

Instrument S-BRZPAR-B1 S-BRZPAR-B2 S-BRZPAR-B3 S-BRZPAR-B4 CONTR_MNTH X X X F
DATE_RANGE OCT8 NOV8 DEC8 FEB9

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.