For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 2 5 8

Can we extract data file via API then download file itself via FTP?

Can we script from specifying TRTH/DSS instrument lists to scheduling via REST API then extract out put file itself via FTP?

My client would like to script request steps until daily schedules with instrument lists and report templates through REST API. They would like to use FTP for the final step i.e. fetching scheduled output files from TRTH/DSS. Please advise if this is possible.

Regards,

dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdsstick-history-rest-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
462 14 11 15

@hiroko.goto

Hi Hiroko,

I find it easier to consider the REST API to have 2 separate options to extract data:

1) The 'physical component' ('Scheduled') option; which is covered by GUI, FTP and REST API; this where a physcial components (list, template, schedule - which goes to ouptut an extraction file), and regardless of which connection method used the changes are visible in a physical form, ie. make a change via GUI, FTP or REST API you can see the change via GUI, FTP or REST API...

2) The 'virtual' option ('On Demand') via REST API only; you compile the equivlent of a list and template, and submit the request via a call, and instead of getting the data back within a physical extract file users would get the data back in the request's response.

The screenshot below shows an example where I have created created the physical components via REST API and the components are also reflected in the GUI and FTP locations:

Best regards,

Gareth

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for your advice.

Can you please confirm if my below understanding is correct?

(1) We can create DSS settings from instrument lists/report templates to Schedules through 'physical component (scheduled)' option by REST API.

(2) We can then download output files via FTP.

Thank you and regards,

Hiroko

@hiroko.goto

Hi Hiroko,

Yes that is correct for DSS. As @Christiaan mentioned you can't do for TRTHv2 as there's no FTP for TRTHv2, but for DSS that's possible.

Best regards,

Gareth

Thank you, noted.

Regards,

Hiroko

Upvote
13.7k 26 8 12

@hiroko.goto, your query does not specify if your customer is using DSS or TRTH.

TRTH does not have FTP capabilities. For scheduled requests, output files can be retrieved either manually through the GUI, or via the API. For the API, there are script samples that show how to retrieve data from a schedule, see the very simple Bash script using Curl and the Python Code Sample, both available under the TRTH downloads tab. In that same location there are also 3 Java samples illustrating that, see those that related to immediate schedules. REST API Tutorial 12 also describes the HTTP requests for data retrieval after a scheduled extraction. Finally, .Net tutorial 4 describes the same in C#.

DSS has FTP capabilities, which I am not familiar with. As a starter on those features, see the DSS User Guide. For the details, see the DSS FTP User Guide.

icon clock
10 |1500

@hiroko.goto, I just edited my response, adding a link to the FTP user guide.

Thank you, Christiaan.

Best regards,

Hiroko

Chrsitiaan Thank you very much for your advice!

Best regards,

Hiroko

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.