Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
6 1 4 3

get_symbology not returning data

Hi -

I queried the following get_symbology:

ek.get_symbology(['EAT','LB','WSM'])

...and received the response

error lipperID

EAT NaN 71000219

LB No best match available NaN

WSM No best match available NaN

Which is weird because all 3 of those should be proper RICs (I looked them up in the platform, plus am able to call get_data with them).

Most other tickers behave as expected, for instance:

ek.get_symbology(['AEP','AEO','AEF'])

returns:

CUSIP ISIN OAPermID RIC lipperID ticker

AEP 025537101 US0255371017 4295903333 AEP NaN AEP

AEO 02553E106 US02553E1064 4295912473 AEO 68143943 AEO

AEF 00301W105 US00301W1053 4295901107 AEF 40003306 AEF

Is there a reason why the function call doesn't seem to be finding data for these RICs?

Thanks very much.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The case 07204564 is still work in progress. Therefore, move to 1 week.

<AHS>

The case 07204564 is closed. The case resolution and answer Eikon team give to the client is "

Our apologies for the delay. We were able to confirm that this behavior was added 7 years ago and the team is working out why it was done and what problem to address. This might take a while as most people have left the company that were responsible for the change.
We apologize for the inconvenience but rest assured that we will have you notified and Alex as well for any development."

@reid

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. If you have an answer, please share your answer, and then accept it. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Hello @reid

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Hello @reid,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@574c708d-6b25-445f-8303-2b495473ec99
You're not doing anything wrong. The issue is with the backend service underlying get_symbology method. I have created service case #07204564 on your behalf with Refinitiv Helpdesk. The Helpdesk will get in touch with you regarding the progress on the case.
As an alternative I may suggest using get_data method with fields TR.ISIN, TR.CUSIP etc instead of get_symbology method.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
3.8k 4 4 6

Hi @574c708d-6b25-445f-8303-2b495473ec99

You can try with:

ek.get_symbology((['EAT','LB','WSM']),from_symbol_type="ticker", to_symbol_type="RIC" , bestMatch=False)
icon clock
10 |1500

OK but then if I look at the output, those inputs that I put in the list should all be valid RICs right? So I still don't get why it is not working if I input the RICs as such and don't ask for all possible matches... I don't want a list of possible symbols I just want to know the values (tickers, cusips, sedols, etc) that match those literal RICs

As an input you can provide valid 'CUSIP', 'ISIN', 'SEDOL', 'RIC', 'ticker', 'lipperID' or 'IMO'

and then you can convert that to 'CUSIP', 'ISIN', 'SEDOL', 'RIC', 'ticker', 'lipperID', 'IMO', 'OAPermID'

e.g:

to_symbol_type="RIC"
to_symbol_type="CUSIP"
to_symbol_type="SEDOL"

there is no bestMatch assigned to those symbols

Maybe I'm not explaining clearly but I am entering what should be *unique* RICs. I want unique ids like CUSIPs from those (was using default params but I can specify if it helps get my point across). So for instance the below:

ek.get_symbology((['EAT','LB','WSM']), from_symbol_type="RIC", to_symbol_type="CUSIP")

Gives me nothing... To make it more pointed, the below should return the same as my input (converting a RIC into a RIC), yet it doesn't (?)

ek.get_symbology((['EAT','LB','WSM']), from_symbol_type="RIC", to_symbol_type="RIC")

(All works fine with many other tickers, just not these)

@marcin.bunkowskido you see what I mean in that last comment/clarification? I believe it is working improperly for these RICs, but let me know if I am just doing something wrong

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.