Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
98 27 33 35

Request CF_LAST in a particular currency.

I'm using CF_LAST to get last traded price on a stock. I'd like to get the given price in given currency, let's say USD. Is there a direct way to do that? It doesn't seem to be a setting available for that CF_ factor that allows me to do so.

I could try using the FX pair options provided indeed, but is that the only way to achieve this? I'd like to know.

Thanks for your time,

Aquiles

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

At the backend we can only convert to another currency historical prices available through TR. fields. CF_ fields come from the real-time streaming datafeed, which does not have the capability to convert prices to another currency. The only way to convert to another currency most recent market data coming from real-time streaming datafeed is to do it in a client application. Mind that if you're looking to provide comprehensive currency conversion for global stocks, it's not a trivial task. You have to take into account that in the FX market by convention most currencies are quoted to USD directly (i.e. in units of the currency per 1 USD), but some currencies (e.g. EUR, GBP, AUD) are quoted indirectly (i.e. in USD per unit of the currency). You also have to take into account that in some markets, e.g. UK, South Africa, Israel stocks are quoted in minor (pennies, agorot) rather than major (pounds, shekels) currency units.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Yes, I totally agree and aware of the points you're mentioning @Alex Putkov., that's one of the reasons why I wanted to know if Eikon had a more straightforward method to do this (like it does with TR.PriceClose, that lets you select the currency in which you desire it to be).

But that's ok, looks like that's going to be the way I'll proceed at the moment because like you guessed, I'm working with real-time streaming and that's the only way at the moment.

Still, thanks a lot for the feedback on this!

Upvote
10.3k 18 6 9

@aquilesjlp300 Yes you can get the last price using the PriceClose field:'TR.PriceClose(Curn=USD)'

The parameter 'Curn=' can be any currency RIC eg CAD, JPY etc

I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Thanks for this reply @jason.ramchandani, the thing is, TR.PriceClose only gives me the closing price, CF_LAST indeed at some point of the day becomes the closing price for a given market, but what if I request it at a particular moment of the day, where market close has not yet arrived (?)

That's why I'm not considering using TR.PriceClose as an option.

@aquilesjlp300 Apols misread your question - can you try 'TR.CLOSEPRICE(Curn=USD)' to get last traded price.

You can use the Data Item Browser App in Eikon (DIB) to discover data items with both values, descriptions and parameter settings.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.