Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 2 3

Is there a programmatic way to check if price symbol is available given a RIC or ISIN in Python API?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apisymbologyapi-limitsisin
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Now I think I get what you're after. If I understand correctly what you mean by "price symbol" is a symbol you can use to subscribe to streaming market data for an instrument, right? If this is the case than in Refinitiv terminology this symbol is the RIC. The RIC is what you use to subscribe to streaming market data for an instrument. So if you start with a RIC you already have what you need. If you start with an ISIN you can retrieve the corresponding RIC using ek.get_data('CA01585PAC91','TR.RIC').
ISIN is an issue level identifier whereas RIC is a quote level identifier (it is specific to both the issue and the price source or trading venue). Typically the relationship between ISIN and RIC for a given instrument is one to many. The above call retrieves the primary RIC for the issue. You can also retrieve the full list of RICs for the issue using get_symbology method with bestMatch=False parameter.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

I'm not sure I understand the question. What's a "price symbol"?

icon clock
10 |1500

A value or an indication that a price is available

I still don't understand. Which price? Is this question specific to a particular asset class or market? For most assets some sort of price is always available. And how would that indication manifest in Eikon? It would be very helpful to have a reference of how this data can be viewed in Eikon application or retrieved using Eikon Excel.

Upvotes
1 0 0 0

as an example,

for RIC BMO.TO, the price symbol is BMO.TO

for ISIN CA01585PAC91, the price symbol is CA01585PAC9=

hope it makes sense.

Regards

Bin

bmo.png (107.9 KiB)
ca01585pac91.png (147.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 0

Thanks for the quick response!

Does it mean ek.get_data('CA01585PAC91','TR.RIC') would return me CA01585PAC9=?

if that is the case, what if the bond, in the case above, has been exchanged/called/defaulted, what it might return?

icon clock
10 |1500

Yes, ek.get_data('CA01585PAC91','TR.RIC') returns CA01585PAC9=.
When an instrument ceases to be active the corresponding RICs are typically removed from the real-time data network. The above call would then return null, although in some cases the RIC may remain on the system for quite some time after the instrument ceased to be active.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.