Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvote
Accepted
36 2 1 5

Access mutual fund portfolio holdings via Eikon API

Hello,

I would like to extract the portfolio holdings of multiple mutual funds via the Eikon API. Are the full holdings, the top 10 holdings, or historial holdings of a mutual fund accessible via the API? Which field would I have to use to get these holdings?

Background: In the Fund screener in Eikon, the full holdings of a single fund can be viewed, and they can be manually exported as xlsx (Excel) file for ONE fund at a time. But since I want to build a large panel data set, I need to be able to automate the export of portfolio data for multiple funds at a time, hence my interest in the API. So far I have been unable to find a field that describes anything remotely resembling the fund portfolio holdings; this is unfortunate since the data is clearly available in Eikon!

Thank you!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiauthentication
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Here's an example

ek.get_data('LP40065886', ['TR.FundHoldingRIC','TR.FundHoldingName',
                           'TR.FundPercentageOfFundAssets',
                           'TR.FundNumberOfShares',
                           'TR.FundNumberOfSharesChanged'],
            {'Endnum':'5000'})

I think you would benefit from checking out this tutorial, which talks at length about discovering metadata (field names and parameters) for use with Eikon Data APIs.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you Alex, this is exactly what I was looking for. I did stumble upon TR.FundHoldingName in the data item browser but did not realize it was what I was looking for, because it only showed one company (first item) rather than a list.

To find these field names myself next time: Was there a way to identify these field names from the fund holdings screen in Eikon, which shows this data (screenshot of that screen below)? Because going via data item browser kind of requires one to know the right term (part of the field name) in the first place.

fundholdings.png (112.3 KiB)

I'm afraid there's no way to discover the field names from the Fund Holdings view in Eikon. In Formula Builder wizard in Excel you can browse the fields by category, which in my opinion is the best way to go about metadata discovery for use with Eikon Data APIs. Unfortunately these categories are not available in DIB.

formulabuilder.png (84.1 KiB)
Upvotes
2 2 1 1

Hi @Alex Putkov. , do you know how to get the full holding name for bond etfs? Seems like it's not possible to retrieve tickers/isins for bond etfs

icon clock
10 |1500

You're right, it appears that you can only get the holding name, but not RIC or ISIN, or another identifier. This said, I suggest you verify it with Refinitiv Helpdesk. This forum is aimed at software developers using Refinitiv APIs. The moderators on this forum are experts in the use of Refinitiv APIs, who do not necessarily have deep expertise in every type of content available through Refinitiv products and services. Content questions such as this one are best directed to Refinitiv Helpdesk, which you can reach by either calling the Helpdesk number in your country or by using Contact Us capability in your Eikon application.
Also whenever you'd like to ask a new question, please start a new thread. Old threads that already have an accepted answer are not monitored by forum moderators, hence a question asked on an old thread can be easily overlooked.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.