Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 0 2

Option Volume Traded and Open Interest for a stock

Is there a way to get call and put option volume traded on a particular stock on a given date through the API? And similarly Open Interest. If a direct data item is not available, is it possible to get the data to help me aggregate it? Thank you

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiderivatives
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @swapna.dr,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

I don't believe this data is available in Eikon historically. You can retrieve volume and open interest for individual options including expired options. But I cannot think of any way to reconstruct the options chain or the list of options that were active as of a given date.
You may want to verify this information with Refinitiv Helpdesk, which is the best resource for any content search and explanation queries. Ask if this data can be retrieved into Excel. The rule of thumb is if the data is available in Excel, it's available through Eikon APIs.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi Alex,

How do I retrieve 'OPENINT_1' or 'TR.OPENINTEREST' with EIKON API? I'm using df, e = ek.get_data('IBM.N', ['OPENINT_1'], {'SDate':'2022-01-01','EDate':'2022-04-01'}) and its coming back with NA. Thanks

Also, if I get historical data subscription, will I be able to get historical SPX option chains as of market close? Thank you

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.