question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 4

Difference between the .NET API and the .COM API.?

Hi. I want to get real-time data in a custom application. What is the difference between the .NET API and the .COM API.? Which of those is the most powerful one? Is it possible to use it with JAVA or PYTHON and are there any examples?

eikoneikon-com-api.net
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

There's a difference in capabilities available through Eikon COM and .NET APIs. E.g. in addition to real-time market data Eikon COM APIs can retrieve fundamental and reference data, which Eikon .NET APIs cannot. Eikon .NET APIs can retrieve the depth and breadth of market data history, which is not available through Eikon COM APIs. But for real-time market data retrieval both APIs provide similar capabilities, so the difference is mainly in technology. Both APIs can be used in custom .NET applications. Eikon .NET APIs provide a more modern interface and arguably are easier to use in .NET. Eikon COM APIs on the other hand can be easily used in VBA.
Both Eikon COM and .NET APIs are considered legacy and are not being enhanced. They're in care & maintenance. Our strategic data retrieval APIs for Eikon are Eikon Data APIs. The capabilities of these strategic APIs are not yet on par with legacy Eikon APIs, which is why we're not looking to retire the legacy APIs yet. At the moment Eikon Data APIs can only retrieve real-time market data as snapshot. We're starting EAP for the new version of the API, which provides capability to subscribe to streaming market data.
It's possible to use Eikon COM APIs in Python, but it's cumbersome and I wouldn't recommend it. Given that we're very close to introducing streaming capability into Eikon Data APIs, I would suggest waiting for that. Perhaps join the EAP if you're interested.
I have used Eikon .NET APIs in Java in one project through JNI using JIN4NET to bridge Java and .NET. It works and in lieu of any alternative it's a viable approach. But again it's rather cumbersome and not straightforward. In future we'll be introducing Java version of Eikon Data APIs, but there's no definitive timeframe for that yet.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 0 0 2

Dear all, what is the better way then to retrieve the data - is everything working with the .NET API? Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Maximilian

icon clock
10 |1500

@maximilian.kamner
First, if you have a new question always start a new thread. Old threads that already have an accepted answer are not monitored by moderators. Second, your question is too vague. I suggest you elaborate on what you're looking to achieve or what challenge you're facing and looking to resolve.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.