For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 2 2

The REST API seems to support basic authentication and authentication via Token for test users. Is basic authentication also supported for productive use?

dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdssauthentication
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @josef.pozny

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
462 13 11 15

@josef.pozny

Hi Josef,

The intention of a Token is for efficiency / re-use.

Aim for DSS users should be to poll the Authentication/RequestToken endpoint once (or a few a times as possible) using DSS (Basic) credentials to retrieve the Token "value", then re-use that Token in any DSS requests going forward for as long as the Token is valid.

I believe a Token is valid for 24 hours.

The concept of test users does not apply relating to this question.

Best regards,

Gareth

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I confirm: a token is valid 24 hours.

Page 8 "Reuse Authentication Tokens for Faster Authentication" in Best Practices (for DataScope Select) (Developer Community access required) should help here.

Sourced from: https://hosted.datascopeapi.reuters.com/RestApi.Help/Home/Index (DSS access required)

Thank you for the answer. I understand the concept of the session token. But my scenario would make just one API Request once a day. If I can call the API directly with basic authentication without getting the token first, this would considerably reduce the implementation effort on the middleware that is making the API call. So I want to make sure: Is basic authentication supported for REST API requests?

@josef.pozny

Hi Josef,

Given you've mentioned that your scenario would make just one API Request once a day, then my view is that you should be able to use the Basic within the 1 request per day. In the 1 step workflow example you've mentioned adding the Authentication/RequestToken call first adds an unrequired step. If you find that your DSS workflow does requires more than the one request to DSS only then does it become best to retrieve the Token within a daily workflow.

Best regards,

Gareth

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.