Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 0

News Headlines older than 15months

Hi,
i am writing currently on a master thesis and need to analyze news from 2017 - 2019 in regarding to public bonds.
trying to get news headlines via the eikon data api older than 2018-11 the endpoint does not return any data.

eikon.get_news_headlines(search_term, date_from='2017-01-01T00:00:00',date_to=2017-02-01T:00:00:00,raw_output='true',count=100)

Is there any possibility getting older news data via the api or via any eikon app?

Thanks & Regards,
Wolfgang

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @wolfgang.lumetsberger

You can retrieve news back to 15 months on Eikon Data API.

If you need news before 15 months ago, you can use Tick History API.

https://developers.refinitiv.com/thomson-reuters-tick-history-trth

Here is news from 1st to 2st Feb 2007 (on FRX HK topics) which I tested with Tick History product.

ahs.png (147.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi,
Thank you for the advice. Can I use the same queries as in get_news_headlines?
I also found an App in Eikon "News Monitor" where it is possible to use Date from and Date to before 2017.
Do you know if eikon data api is possible to query like this app?

Thanks & Regards,
Wolfgang

Perle avatar image Perle wolfgang.lumetsberger

Hi Wolfgang, I am wondering about the same. Did you find a solution to it?

Thanks,

Perle

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @wolfgang.lumetsberger,

Eikon Data API retrieval of news is limited by 15 months, which is what is preventing you from retrieval, the up-to-date limits are best described in EIKON DATA API USAGE AND LIMITS GUIDELINE doc.

News Monitor is not subject to this limit, and will be able to retrieve older news.

Tick History product, suggested by @chavalit.jintamalit is the recommended way to retrieve history via API, although as a student you may not have access to the product, you will have to confirm that with your university leadership.

Looks like you will have to discuss the way to approach you thesis with your master thesis adviser, so that the task at hand is supported by means to achieve the goal.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
0 0 0 0

Hello Wolfgang, I'm Jeff, a PhD student from Oregon Institute of Technology. I had a similar assignment for my analytical research project. I followed the TickHistoryTimeAndSalesExtraction and TickHistoryRawExtraction tutorials and used Tick History API. I can share my example, if you're interested.

____
>Tick history (Time and Sales data) retrieval for US exchanges thetermpapers

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.