Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
20 3 3 1

get_data very very slow to retrieve closing prices for R3000, daily, 13 years

I followed the suggestion of Alex Putkov (https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/57533/1-get-timeseries-cuts-off-historic-data-2-get-data.html) to split up the 3000 requests into chunks of 50 at a time using the code in "R" (not Python) below.

j=1

RIC.long = NULL

chunk = 30

for(i in c(seq(chunk,length(RIC), by=chunk),length(RIC))){

RIC.list = vector("list", length(RIC[j:i]))

RIC.list[1:length(RIC[j:i])] = RIC[j:i]

RIC.long = rbind(RIC.long,

get_data(RIC.list,

list( "TR.PriceClose.Date","TR.PriceClose"),

list("Frq"="D","SDate"=startDate,"EDate"="2020-04-09")))

j=i+1

}

Problem:

- It runs fine within 1 minute for startDate = "2020-04-01" - so a short history OK

- for startDate = "2005-01-01" in chunks of 30, it takes 33min (granted I am working from home with download = 14 Mbits/s and upload = 8 Mbits/s)

Question: Is this normal? On my Bloomberg R API it would have been a single request in under 1 min. I also tried to download it in a forloop RIC by RIC which takes about 60min. Chunk size of 50, throughs errors.

Thank you for possible insights, if this is the Eikon normal or if I am doing something wrong.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apipricingr
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @Alex Putkov,@jirapongse.phuriphanvichai, @chavalit.jintamalit

Could you assist the client regarding this question?

Hello @jirapongse.phuriphanvichai, @chavalit.jintamalit, @Alex Putkov ,

Could you assist the client regarding this question?

Hello @HeikoRR

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Hello @HeikoRR,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
18.2k 21 13 21

I just tested iterating a list of RIC to retrieve 3000 data points on each RIC using Eikon Data API(Python)

It took me around 20 seconds to retrieve 3000 x 20 datapoints.

And around 120 seconds to retrieve 3000 x 100 datapoints.

So I would say that 3000 datapoint x 3000 RICs would require around 3000 seconds.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
20 3 3 1

Hi Chavalit,
You seem to confirm my findings.

Best regards

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.