Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
34 3 7 6

TR.EPSMean(Period=FY1).periodenddate inconsistent between Python and Excel API

I have a doubt about the way Python API recognizes accounting periods. On 2020-04-22, namely today, 8060.T announced Q1 (2020 Jan-Mar) result and I wanted to see quarterly EPS estimate and found this seemingly erroneous phenomenon.

1-A. On Python, ek.get_data('8060.T', fields=["TR.EPSMean(Period=FQ1).periodenddate"], parameters={'SDate':'2020-04-22', "RollPeriods":True})[0]

This gives me back Period End Date 2020-03-31

1-B. On Excel, =TR("8060.T", "TR.EPSMean(SDate=2020-04-22, Period=FQ1, RollPeriods=True).periodenddate")

This returns 2020-06-30.

Since I specify RollPeriods=True and now that Q1 (2020 Jan-Mar) result is out, I expect it to roll the window over to the next quarter FQ1, 2020 Apr-Jun. Why does Python still refer to Jan-Mar as FQ1?

2-A. ek.get_data('8060.T', fields=["TR.EPSMean(Period=FQ0).periodenddate"], parameters={'SDate':'2020-04-20', "RollPeriods":False})[0]

This returns 2019-12-31, which does not make any sense. If I am not mistaken, RollPeriods=False means that the period is purely based on calendar quarter, not fiscal quarter of interest. As of 2020-04-20, it is clear that the Q1 (Jan-Mar) is behind us, so FQ0 should be the three months ending in Mar. Why does it still stick to the period prior to the last quarter?

2-B. =TR("8060.T", "TR.EPSMean(SDate=2020-04-20, Period=FQ0, RollPeriods=False).periodenddate")

Excel seems to be working correctly, by showing 2020-03-31. This is good, but it also highlights another issue, inconsistency.

The issue problem 1 and 2 may look similar to each other at first glance, but I believe they are essentially different. For the issue 1, it may be because Python API is slow to recognize the result announcement and time could solve this inconsistency. However, the issue 2 has nothing to do with a result announcement. Regardless of the Q1 result being released or not, the calendar quarter Q1 is already behind us.

Could someone correct me if my understanding is not quite correct? Also, I appreciate it if someone can give me more colors what is going on behind the scene?

Thank you very much, in advance!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
10.1k 18 6 9

Hi @iwasakI - thanks for you question. I have run your python code and it seems to be what you are getting from excel: see screenshot below:

The only thing I can think of is some small delay in the table being updated - but the source for excel and python API should be the same. Can you run now to see if it is ok?

1587565820126.png (141.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Oh, thank you very much for double checking and as you pointed out, now inconsistency has gone and everything looks all right. So, it seems that once the the database is updated and Python API recognizes an announcement date correctly, things are sorted and put in order.

Thank you again for taking care of it!

@iwasakI My pleasure! Glad to be of help :)

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.