We have been in contact with the Refinitiv sales team, which suggested to use DSS for our purpose. I'm starting to question whether this API is the right choice for our needs. We provide API's which provide risk calculation functionality using daily pricing time series data of the assets from the customers portfolio. Our setup is as follows:
1) We receive instrument identifiers from the customer (here we appreciate flexibility of DSS IdentifierType)
2) a. Search our local database for instrument time series existence
b. If not, collect via DSS (REST)
c. Store time series in local database and retrieve close price on a daily basis (backfill using time series endpoint in case of data gaps due to collection failure)
d. Additionally, we request a relatively small number of meta information via DSS (company name, sector, industry, ...) which is stored in
3) Calculate risk measures using multivariate time series as described in 2
The main issue is that DSS time series requests (step 2) take ~1-2 minutes for 10-20 (likely to be more in the near future) instruments (which is see has previously been discussed in this forum). This in turn prevents us to provide immediate response (step 3) to our customers.
I see 2 options to solve this:
1) Same setup but faster response time from Refinitiv
2) Preferred: replace local database by data provider completely, provided that response times are constantly <1 second (asset time series requests can be threaded). Meta information could take longer.
I'm wondering if somebody here has similar requirements or if the technical support staff has recommendations as to which API would fit our needs best?