Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
11 1 1 1

Can we retrieve news headlines data if date range exceeds the limits?

Hi,

I have tried to pull the news headline data for the date range 2019-12-25 to 2020-04-25 and the instrument 'AAPL.O'. While taking news data using get_news_headlines function, I see there is a data restriction of 100. At the moment I thought of looping the function call with single date with the assumption of each date may have less than 100 records. But what if a day has more than 100 records? What is the suggested way to get the news data per instrument?

Is there any available there to retrieve all the news headlines data for the given (2019-12-25 to 2020-04-25) date range?

Thank You,

Priya

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @priyanka

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @priyanka,

It's a good idea to split the request by date.

If you find that on some day you have full 100 headlines returned, you can further split that day by time into 2 half-days

ek.get_news_headlines('R:GOOG.O', date_from='2019-04-01T09:00:00', date_to='2019-04-01T12:00:00')

To be fully sure you do not over-run the limit of 100 and still get all the news per your search criteria.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Is there a situation, data fetch for half day return more than 100 ?Also Is there a possibility to have,

i)more than 100 records in 2 hrs

ii)more than 100 records in 1 hr

Do we have any field/ flag to check this ?

Thank You,
Priya

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hi @priyanka,

News volume goes up and down. We don't "cup" the news. So if you require to be guaranteed to retrieve every item under your search criteria, I would use the programmatic approach in the pattern of binary search. This way, if there was even a huge peak in the number of published, you will retrieve them all.

If you have retrieved less then a hundred, then proceed

If you have retrieved 100, divide the time interval in half and do 2 retrievals, if you retrieve 100 on one of the halfs, divide it in half and retrieve on the two time retrievals.

Once you have retrieved less then 100, the news for the time period are fully retrieved.

Hope this helps?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.