question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 0 2 5

Eikon update dll location change

Hello, I developed some VBA apps, on top of Download manager. Obviously on Eikon Update the dll location is changed, specifically I am Using PLSyncronizationMgr.dll. The folder may be "Thomson Reuters/X/Bin" or "Z/Bin" or "X/Bin" which is changing after the update. That causes the Excel app to stop working with compile error "Library not found". How can I avoid this?

eikoneikon-com-apiDownload
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

This is an unfortunate side effect of implementing Eikon COM API libraries as reg free COM. I'm afraid there's no elegant way to deal with this issue. The one I would recommend is to create a static copy of PLSyncronizationMgr.dll in a permanent location outside of Thomson Reuters folder and reference the dll in your VBA projects from this permanent location. The VBA reference is only used at compile time to read class definitions, which for Eikon COM API libraries are not expected to change ever. We also have no plans to make any enhancements to Eikon COM APIs, so the dlls are not expected to change at all. But even if there are some changes to the dll in a new version of Eikon, because at runtime the library is loaded from the location specified in the registry, the dll will be loaded from the location of the latest installed Eikon version. This means that even with the reference to the static copy of the library in a permanent location at run time you will be using the latest version of the library. And as long as there are no changes to the definitions of the classes used in your project, this should work.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.