question

Upvote
Accepted
50 4 5 6

Is there a way to set the maxCache parameter (or else) in ADS to essentially mean there is no cache limit?

We are implementing UPA provider and consumer components which talk through ADS. In my system as a whole, we are not going to use caching at all and also don’t want to impose any limit on any components (ADS/Provider) when it comes to the number of items/streams. Is there a recommended settings?

One thing we have found is that on the Provider side if we don't apply openLimit (as mentioned that we don't want to have any limit), on the ADS we have to set the maxCache to some value otherwise ADS wouldn't be able to see the service as active (this has been confirmed by the API support team). So here comes to another question, is there a way to set the maxCache parameter (or else) in ADS to essentially mean there is no cache limit?

elektronrefinitiv-realtimetrepADScaching
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@thanawat.mahatribhop

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
1.2k 23 31 44

There is a hash table to store all the item streams unique "message key" request information along with subscription information thus there is always a finite limit to the number of concurrent streams that can be fed through TREP. In my testing environment I have maxCache set to 5,000,000 for example.

However there are mechanisms to bypass this if desired as you can encapsulate your payload within a single item stream and thus consume no additional resources in the infrastructure when scaling from 1 to googols of items. FYI, this is how Reuters Content Services is implemented and how future services such as Elektron Time Services are delivered through Elektron.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
210 4 6 8

You are correct. If you do not provide a maxCache, TREP will apply a pre-configured value. I don't know of any way to set that to an infinite value.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
79.2k 251 52 74

Refer to RDM usage guide, the maximum value of OpenLimit is 4,294,967,295. It is large enough to be unlimited.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.