Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
11 1 1 1

How to add the document type filter condition in News Headline function?

Hi,

I have tried to pull the news headlines by adding some filter conditions. Below is my code:

Instrument = 'AAPL.O';

language = 'L:EN';

SourceCode = 'NS:RTRS';

documentType = 'Story';

C = 100;

query = [Instrument,' and ',language,' and ',SourceCode,' and ',documentType]

Data = get_news_headlines(query,C)

When i not added the 'documentType' in the query variable, get_news_headlines function returns the value. When i added 'documentType', function returns empty result. Do i need to refer the documentType in aother way? Could you please anyone help on this?

Thank You,

Priya

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @priyanka

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @priyanka

I am not familiar with documentType in news query syntax.

Do you mean you want to get news story?

So first, you should get the list of news headlines according to your news query.

Each news headline will have story ID, you can make an API call to get news story from the story id.

Here is sample code to retrieve 2 news stories.

ahs1.png (47.8 KiB)
ahs2.png (142.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi,

Thank you for the prompt reply. Sorry, i am not fully enter the code. below function format i have used.

Data = get_news_headlines(query,C,raw_output = true)

I retrieve the headlines output as json format. then i convert this json format to table. Plesae see the below sample result.

I need to apply the filter condition based on language, source code and document Type when send the API request to get the news headlines data.

Thank You,

Priya

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @priyanka

You should use the "News Monitor" app on Eikon Desktop to explore what can be filtered out by the query.

Or if you want to filter out on the JSON output from the get_news_headlines(), it should be done on your coding.

This is just an example.

df = ek.get_news_headlines('R:AAPL.O AND Language:LEN AND Source:RTRS', raw_output=True)

storyList = []

for headline in df['headlines']:
        if (headline['documentType']=='Story'):
            storyList.append(headline)

print(storyList)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.