Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 0

How can I calculate the number of requests so I don't overrun Eikon Data API daily limit?

Hi. I am running many requests per day and want to avoid posting more requests than Eikon allows. According to this page, Eikon enforces a cap of 10,000 requests per day. I am assuming that (1) whether a single get_data request asks for 1 field or 10 000 fields, it will always be counted as 1 request; (2) if I submit a single get_data request for 1 RIC or a batch of 100 RICs, it will be counted as 1 request; (3) get_symbology requests do not count towards the daily limit. Are these assumptions correct?

In other words, if I satisfy the condition that I do not request more that 5GB of data per day, and all I use are get_symbology and get_data requests, all I need to do to make sure I do not overrun the daily limit of 10 000 requests is that I execute the get_data function 9999 times in a day. Is that correct?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiapi-limits
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @slavomir.sovik,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such. Thanks, AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @slavomir.sovik,

Please see all limits listed in EIKON DATA API USAGE AND LIMITS GUIDELINE

There are both daily limits and data point limits. Yes on daily request limits, on data points you will have to review how many data points are being requested per request in order to be compliant.

Please keep in mind that Eikon is an end user product. According to the standard terms of Refinitiv contract any data retrieved from Eikon is for individual user's use only. This is consistent for Eikon Data API access - applicable to the logged in user.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for your reply. I understand that there are per-request limits too. However, from what you're saying I'm not clear on whether that is a yes to all three of my assumptions as outlined in my question, even (3) get_symbology not counting to the 10k daily limit?

@slavomir.sovik,

It is yes on all 3.

But this is not all that you need to account for, the additional aspect to account for are data point limits.

Okay, thanks. So according to the guideline, my single get_data request needs to be under 10 000 data points. So satisfying both limits, at absolute maximum, I can make 10 000 get_data requests with 10 000 data points each. Right?

Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.