Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
77 5 12 17

Get_Symbology from ISIN to RIC with currency

Royal Dutch Shell has a dual listing with the same ISIN on both LSE (GBX) and on AEX Amsterdam (EUR). The ISIN is the same but the currency is different. When carelessly converting symbology with this information for timeseries/portfolio value calculation can be very dangerous. 
As shown below doing a lookup from ISIN to RIC with symbology can get the wrong currency listing. As I have lots of information from third parties from which I don't get a RIC. I am looking for a way to translate an ISIN and an ISOCURRENCY into the right RIC. This issue does not only occur at RDSa but also at many ETFS that are listed with the same ISIN on many different exchanges. How can I best tackle this?

get_symbology( symbol = ["GB00B03MLX29"]
    , from_symbol_type = ["ISIN"]
    , to_symbol_type = ["RIC"]
    )
[[1]]
                 RIC
GB00B03MLX29 RDSa.AS

As shown below the transformation in the other direction goes ok. 

get_symbology( symbol = ["RDSa.AS"]
    , from_symbol_type = ["RIC"]
    , to_symbol_type = ["ISIN"]
    )
[[1]]
                ISIN
RDSa.AS GB00B03MLX29

get_symbology( symbol = ["RDSa.L"]
    , from_symbol_type = ["RIC"]
    , to_symbol_type = ["ISIN"]
    )
[[1]]
               ISIN
RDSa.L GB00B03MLX29
eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apisymbologyisinric
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @laurens,

Now that I better understand what you are trying to do, identify the RIC for specific currency, how about :

• Get all RICs:
df = ek.get_symbology( symbol = ["GB00B03MLX29"] , from_symbol_type = "ISIN" , to_symbol_type = "RIC" , bestMatch = False)
ricList = df['RICs'].tolist()
  • Get currency per RIC
ek.get_data(ricList[0],['CURRENCY'])
  • Pick the RIC with the appropriate currency from the received

Does this work for your use case?

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @laurens,

I think using:

ek.get_symbology( symbol = ["GB00B03MLX29"] , from_symbol_type = "ISIN" , to_symbol_type = "RIC" , bestMatch = True)

Is one way to avoid any difference, per Eikon Data API Reference this parameter will yield only primary RIC, of which there can be only one.

Will this help?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
77 5 12 17

Dear @zoya.farberov,

Thank you very much for your fast response. Much appreciated. I am aware of the BestMatch option. Unfortunately, if I have a list of portfolio stocks with an ISIN and ISOcur. it is not so helpful which stock is considered the primary ric. Calculating the portfolio value is not possible without being able to pinpoint the value of the stock in the correct currency. If I own RDSa stock in GBP currency I believe that I am unable to calculate the correct portfolio value if I have an ISIN and isocur.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.