Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
39 3 7 4

How do I set up the Eikon Data API Proxy to use the Eikon Data API without having Eikon desktop open?

How do I set up the Eikon Data API Proxy to use the Eikon Data API without having Eikon desktop open?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
10.2k 18 6 9

@clangevin So the Eikon data is designed for one machine usage ie no data leaves the machine (except in our secure CodeBook App which is our cloud-hosted scripting environment) and no redistribution rights. Depending on your use case we have other products with other workflows such as scheduled downloads for example, to update centralised databases etc. The are generally known as feed solutions and can operate on any machine. We have different feeds available with different content and licensing packages. For example if you want to power an external facing web portal which distributed live prices to anyone - we have our Knowledge Direct feed.

We also have a new cloud-based platform called the Refinitiv Data Platform (RDP) that can deliver realtime and non-realtime content via a standardised web APIs and websockets for streaming and we have created an ease-of-use library for these in Python, .NET & Typescript. You actually have access to some of these new services already with your Eikon and can use the RDP library with an appkey from the AppKey generator. But perhaps the easiest way to use these is via our Codebook app (type CODEBOOK into eikon search bar) and you can see examples of the types of additional capabilities (enhanced timeseries history service, search APIs, Symbology APIs and much more) and content you can get there - see below:

You can of course use the RDP libraries outside of our codebook environment and you can just pip install refinitiv.dataplatform (though for the moment you need to downgrade httpx to 0.14.2 (pip install httpx==0.14.2))

I hope this can help.

1601896232514.png (308.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks Jason, will take a look.

Upvotes
10.2k 18 6 9

@clangevin As this is a desktop product - the desktop needs to be open on the same machine when using the Eikon Data API. We have other products and data licenses for server side usage.

icon clock
10 |1500

thanks. Which products are those? I don't need to run on a server I just don't need a heavy application like Eikon to be open while running my scripts.

Upvotes
10.2k 18 6 9

@clangevin why don't you try our new Refinitiv Workspace (the next generation of Eikon) - its much more lightweight than Eikon and has much lower resource footprint as its written in HTML5. I hardly notice its there and I run a lot of heavy scripts. We are in the middle of rolling out different variants of this - a few are available now. You can ask your account manager for a Workspace instance. I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Thanks, sounds good.

What are the other products and data licenses you were referring to?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.