Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
31 4 7 9

Help with Eikon app development

Hi,

We are developing an app on Eikon and require help on the below -

1. Need a complete API documentation on the Eikon .NET SDK – for all the features supported and more from what other features can be offered as opposed to a web browser based App.
  2. Any help on best practices and recommendations.
  3. Can we implement widgets?
  4. Is there an API to extract specific data? For example, the credit / risk rating of a particular organization.
  5. When we open specific pages – for example Summary page of an organization, is there a recommended way in which we can directly open a particular tab – example Debt & Credit? Right now we navigate to link (like https://apac1.views.cp.thomsonreuters.com/Apps/Corp?s=GLEN.L&st=RIC&app=true#/Apps/ownership?view=ownershipSummary) – is this correct?
eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @Vini

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Hello @Vini,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
10.2k 18 6 9

@Vini Thanks for your question. If you are looking to work with .NET and Eikon - the best way to do this is to use our latest Refinitiv Data Platform (RDP) libraries (.NET version is in alpha). These libraries have a complete version of our Eikon Data API embedded in them - so you can use both the latest platform capabilities such as Search and an expanded Historical Pricing service as well as access to all the data Eikon has to offer. You can open a desktop session when working with this library.

The easiest way to see examples of these APIs actually working is to use the new CODEBOOK app in Eikon (type codebook into Eikon search bar) - which once opened gives you access to both Eikon Data API samples (using the RDP libraries) and also accessing RDP samples.

Specifically I will address you points:

1) Eikon Data API (though this has been fully embedded into the RDP library the way it works is exactly the same).

Refinitiv Data Platform Libraries: nuget download

There are lots of documents and samples available for each of these API from those links,

2) You should be aware of data limits per API call you can find out more information here

3) Yes as far as I am aware you can implement anything in your own code. You just need to be aware that data from Eikon cannot leave the desktop environment according to the license.

4) The Eikon Data API has a number of API calls:

get_timeseries : for historical pricing series

get_data : for all fundamental and reference fields

get_news_headlines : for getting news headlines according to some sort of query

get_news_story : returns a news story for a given storyID

StreamingPrices : allows you to retrieve live streaming prices using our websocket API.

get_symbology : allows you to convert symbology from different schemas. ie ISIN to RIC and many others.

5) Each of the pages you see in Eikon is built from various data fields. We have a content navigator which is call the Data Item Browser (type DIB into eikon search bar) that will help you navigate all content available from the Eikon Data API. Regarding the navigation the view is what you want so Ownership Summary is actually OWNS to if you type eg VOD.L OWNS into eikon search and hit enter you go there. Every view (or app) in Eikon has such a code which you can use CHT is chart, OPW is option watch, DS is debt structure etc You can see what these are in the top right hand corner of every app.

I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@jason.ramchandani - Hi Jason, Thanks for your quick and detailed reply. This is extremely helpful. We are reviewing and going over a few things still and will check again if need further help.

p.s. - For some reason I am unable to access the api documentation link. It gives me access violation.

@Vini My pleasure - you should just be able to request access to the documentation if you cannot already see it. If you are still having issues let me know.

Vini avatar image Vini jason.ramchandani01

@jason.ramchandani - Hi Jason, interestingly I am able to access the link now :). Thanks again!

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

@Vini

I'm guessing your question is related to Eikon App Studio program. If this is indeed the case, then please be informed that App Studio .NET SDK together with the whole concept of WPF apps in Eikon App Studio are no longer supported. If you're looking to join Eikon App Studio program, the only option is a Web app.

icon clock
10 |1500

Alex Putkov - Hi Alex, Thanks for your reply and highlighting this.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.