Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
75 4 5 6

How to retrieve the market share & total shares outstanding

Hello,

I am sorry for so much questions lately, but I just have a lot of work to do with the Eikon API. With the following formula I am able to retrieve the Market Cap for every trading day of a RIC.

market_caps, err = ek.get_data(RIC,['TR.CompanyMarketCap.Date' ,'TR.CompanyMarketCap', 'TR.CompanyMarketCap.Currency'], {'SDate': start_date, 'EDate': end_date, 'DateType' : 'ED'})

Normally, market cap divided by stock price equals the number of shares. However, that's not true in 100 % of all cases, what is understandable. Therefore I wonder, how can I get the total number of shares outstanding for every trading day?

My second question is company related: Is it also possible to get the market share a company has in his industry or sector for every trading day? I know, that the market share does not to get measured every trading day new, however it would be still intresting to know if that is possible.

Thank you guys in advance!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@pfarrer.braun

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply that best answers your question. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
10.2k 18 6 9

@pfarrer.braun Here I put in a couple of different measures of shares outstanding - you can check the exact descriptions as they do differ slightly in what they include eg fully diluted etc. But they are available on a daily basis for you.

market_caps, err = ek.get_data('VOD.L',['TR.CompanyMarketCap.Date' ,'TR.CompanyMarketCap','TR.CompanyMarketCap.Currency','TR.F.ComShrOutsTot',
'TR.F.ShrUsedToCalcBasicEPSIssue','TR.F.ShrUsedToCalcDilEPSTot','TR.F.ComShrOutstTotPoPAvg'], 
{'SDate': '2020-10-30', 'EDate': '2018-10-30', 'FRQ':'D','period':'FY0'})

market_caps

I hope this can help regarding your first point.

1605806067309.png (129.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
10.2k 18 6 9

@pfarrer.braun regarding your second point - when you say 'get the market share a company has in his industry or sector for every trading day' - do you mean their own market cap as a percentage of some industry / sector / index / aggregated market cap?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
75 4 5 6

Hi @jason.ramchandani, thank you, your first answer answered my first question perfectly.

Regarding the second question: Investopedia defines market shares as follows: "Market share is the percent of total sales in an industry generated by a particular company. Market share is calculated by taking the company's sales over the period and dividing it by the total sales of the industry over the same period." Is data like that available through eikon? If not daily maybe yearly?

icon clock
10 |1500

@pfarrer.braun ok so I believe this is available but you would need to know what industry or sector to benchmark to - some are national and some are international - I will post a quick example.

@jason.ramchandani Is the formula for every industry/sector different or can i just enter the RIC and it gives me the market share for that company? International would be fine.

Hi @jason.ramchandani, there is further question from the client. Could you please look into the question?

Thanks

Hi @jason.ramchandani, there is a further question from the client. Could you please look into the question?

Thanks

@pfarrer.braun

You can explore the data available through CodeCreator or Data Item Browser apps in Eikon. I don't believe company market share is available through Eikon. However the moderators on this forum do not have deep expertise in every type of content available through Eikon. The best resource for content related queries is Refinitiv Helpdesk, which you can reach by using Contact Us capability in Eikon application or by visiting MyRefinitiv. The Helpdesk has access to content experts covering specific types of content.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.