question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 1

Reuters Eikon COM: Time Series Chart - How to base different stock prices to different dates? when firms started operations at different times

Hello,

I am using Reuters Eikon and I want to plot Time Series Charts. I want to plot the stock prices of different firms starting in 2017 with the base 0. My problem is that only two firms are starting there. Two other firms are starting in 2018 and 2019 but they also use 2017 as a base in order to compare the development of all stock prices, which means they are starting not form zero but another value. How can I set the dates I want to refer to as a base individually? So that the firms which are starting later also start at 0.

eikoneikon-com-apitime-seriesthomson-reuters
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @christoph.klavers

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

@christoph.klavers

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Since you posted this question on a forum dedicated to software developers using Refinitiv APIs I assume you're looking for a programmatic solution. Here's an example using Eikon Data APIs.

# get timeseries of price history for IBM & Airbnb 
df = ek.get_timeseries(['IBM.N','ABNB.O'],['CLOSE'],
                      start_date='2020-11-05',end_date='2021-01-08') 
# backfill missing price history for Airbnb 
df['ABNB.O'].fillna(method='bfill', inplace=True) 
# rebase price history 
df = df/df.iloc[0] - 1 
# display rebasing plot 
ax = df.plot() ax.axhline()

rebasingchart.png (18.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

However, if you're asking how to use a chart object (CHT) in Eikon application, when inserting an Indexed Price Performance / Rebasing Analysis in a chart app, one of the Analysis parameters is "Specified Date", which is set separately for each instrument.

Or you may want to consider using Financial Chart app, which does not require specifying rebasing date for each instrument and just starts the plot at zero on the first date available as long as "Normalize dates" option is set to Off.

If you need further help with Eikon apps, please contact Refinitiv Helpdesk using Contact Us capability in your Eikon application. This forum is dedicated to software developers utilizing Refinitiv APIs.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.