Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
34 3 7 7

Excel API version of ek.get_symbolog() in Python API?

Does someone know if there exist a formula in Excel API that does the same job as ek.get_symbolog() in Python API? I contacted with a helpdesk, but was forwarded to here.

eikoneikon-data-apirefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
78.9k 250 52 74

@iwasaki

The get_symbology method converts a list of instrument names into another instrument code.

You may need to contact the Eikon excel support team to verify which excel functions can perform the symbology conversions.

From my finding, the =RSearch and =TR function can convert instrument codes.

For example:

=RSearch("EQUITY","Search:'GB00B1XZS820'","NBROWS:1",,)

The above code uses the RSearch function to convert ISIN to RIC.

=TR("GB00B1XZS820,GB0006731235,2005973","TR.PrimaryRICCode,TR.RIC","CODE=MULTI")

The above code uses the TR function to convert ISIN and SEDOL to RIC.

However, please directly contact the Eikon Excel support team via MyRefinitv (https://my.refinitiv.com/content/mytr/en/helpandsupport.html) to verify it.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for great answer. It worked out!

As an aside, I have another question that is more general. In your 2nd case, we have returns over 3x2 cells as follows:

AAL.LAAL.LABF.LABF.LIBMIBM.N

Do you know if it is possible to access only one element in the matrix in one formula in Excel? That is, instead of letting the formula return a matrix that goes over 3x2 cells, I want to obtain an element in (2,1) position (ABF.L ) and discard everything else. I believe this is something called "array slicing" in programing language, but do you think we can do that with Excel API?

@iwasaki

I do not quite understand the requirement. If you want only one cell for ABF.L, you can specify only an instrument and a field, as shown below.

=TR("GB0006731235","TR.PrimaryRICCode","CODE=MULTI")

It will return ABF.L which is a RIC for GB0006731235.

1624008223911.png

1624008223911.png (7.9 KiB)
Yeah, I know that my question sounds strange, but I have a totally different issue in my mind and wondered if you know some clue about it.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.