Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 3

get_symbology not working

Hi all, 

I'm trying to find companies RIC code using Eikon get_symbology from ticker to RIC. (For example with NVDA and MSFT). The command returns <NaN>, however the documentation clearly supports get_symbology from ticker to ric. As an alternative, I'm now using rdp to get ric. Can someone please help check if get_symbology is still supported ticker->ric mapping.

df = rdp.lookup(view=rdp.SearchViews.EquityQuotes, scope='TickerSymbol',terms="NVDA,MSFT",select='RIC')
eikonpythonrdprt-get
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

hi @thomas01

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?
If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question or could you provide the information required for further investigation, please?

Thanks,
AHS

Hello @thomas01 ,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
14.2k 30 5 10

hi @thomas01 ,

For reference, here's an answer provided by the support team in case number 10921134

I tried and compared the results. It looks like that for the following tickers I'm not getting anything....
The tickers with no results are either delisted or the underlying ticker is valid for more than one equity. That is why using ISIN or CUSIP as an identifier is more accurate than ticker.

The below script converts TICKERS to CUSIP and then CUSIP to Primary RIC. Please check if it returns more results for you:

RICS= ['KSU','MXIM','INFO','ES','MSCI','CME','CL','BSX','ALXN','AAP']
RICS_list = [RIC+"@ticker" for RIC in RICS]
ticker,err = ek.get_data(RICS_list,"TR.CUSIP")
cusips_list = [cus+'@cusip' for cus in ticker['CUSIP']]
cusips_list
df,err = ek.get_data(cusips_list,['TR.PrimaryQuote'])
df['TICKER'] = ticker['Instrument']
df
1645439667168.pngIf you identify any tickers with no underlying Primary RIC, please create a ticket via MyRefinitiv to reach out to the content team to check the mapping.

Do you mind telling me what's the difference between .O ,K or even no "dot trailings" for example AAP ticker has RIC AAP:
The full list of RIC exchange codes can be found on EXCHID01 Eikon Page.

1645439667168.png (16.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
24.7k 54 17 14

Hello @thomas01

I am noticed that you are using the Refinitiv Data Platform Libraries - Python (RDP - Library), so you can use the RDP-Library convert_symbols function to convert from one symbol type to other types.

rdp.convert_symbols(
    symbols = ['NVDA','MSFT'],
    from_symbol_type = rdp.SymbolTypes.Ticker,
    to_symbol_types = [rdp.SymbolTypes.RIC]
)

result-symbology.png

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I am using RDP but ideally I'd like to use Eikon because RDP requires me to be logged out from the desktop terminal and huge part of my existing code is implemented in Eikon. Can you please suggest a method that would work in Eikon api?
Upvote
79.1k 250 52 74

@thomas01

You need to set the best_match argument to False.

data = ek.get_symbology(["NVDA","MSFT"], from_symbol_type="ticker", to_symbol_type="RIC", best_match=False)

The output is:

1643950916999.png

1643950916999.png (11.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have tried just now and got exact results that you show. I guess the b) question is that if I want to get the primary RIC, I should always get the one with .O or the first element in the list? Sorry this maybe a noob question, but I'm really new at the Refinitiv universe

@thomas01

I can't confirm it. However, I have submitted a new case on your behalf to the support team to verify it. The case number is 10921134.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.