For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
30 2 4 7

Timeout In Refinitiv DSS REST API request

Hi,

would you be able to help with the bolded questions, please?

"Timeout for request is set to 30s in our system right now. The request and times can be seen below. Time is in UTC +4

0530-170202.250-I-(DsRefinitivDssClient) - Sending request: https://selectapi.datascope.refinitiv.com/RestApi/v1/Extractions/ExtractWithNotes POST

0530-170202.250-I-(DsRefinitivDssClient) - Body Json: {"ExtractionRequest":{"@odata.type":"#DataScope.Select.Api.Extractions.ExtractionRequests.IntradayPricingExtractionRequest","ContentFieldNames":["RIC","Bid Price","Last Price","Quote Date","Trade Date","Ask Price","Quote Time","Trade Time"],"IdentifierList":{"@odata.type":"#DataScope.Select.Api.Extractions.ExtractionRequests.InstrumentIdentifierList","InstrumentIdentifiers":[{"Identifier":"LCOQ2","IdentifierType":"Ric"}]},"Condition":null}}

0530-170232.290-I-(DsRefinitivDssClient) - Got respons for Ric: LCOQ2, respons: jdk.internal.net.http.common.MinimalFuture@3040ff55[Completed exceptionally: java.util.concurrent.CompletionException: java.net.http.HttpTimeoutException: request timed out] (id=21753)

Later responses from Refinitiv DSS continue. I have couple of questions and hope you could help.

• What is recommended timeout for the call in Refinitiv DSS API?
  • Is it expected that requests will time out now and then?
  • Does timeout depend on client subscription plan?
  • Does response time depend on instrument and market?

"

dss-rest-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @stefan.sirkia ,

In addition to the guidance from Gurpreet, to gain solid understanding of DSS REST integration, quickly and easily, would like to suggest to review our DSS REST Tutorials, I would recommend REST Intro, REST Connecting to Server, REST On Demand End Of Day ( as it discusses timeouts), REST On Demand Intraday- as you are using IntradayPricingExtractionRequest, and they can be subject to embargo, so important to understand for this type of request, and GUI Control Calls, as you are using GUI Controls emulation approach to request, rather then "On Demand".

The answers:

• The default timeout is set at 30 seconds, the product recommendation is not to reset it manually, so it is possible (see in EOD tutorial).
  • Yes, as processing is asynchronous. The request is completed with status code 200 or accepted for processing with code 202.
  • No.
  • The main factors influencing how long the request takes to completed are the size of the request and the load of the service at the time of the request.

Hope that this information helps

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
22.6k 59 14 21

Hi @stefan.sirkia,

There is no guidance for timeout, since the amount of time required to fulfill a request will depend on the amount of data extracted from it, and if that data is subject to embargo restrictions. The time can vary from few seconds to couple of hours.

Seems like, you are not using the async feature of the DSS API. See the async defination here. The Java examples provided in the downloads section, shows how to use this feature.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
30 2 4 7

Hi, @Jirapongse thanks, I was under impression I already did, but seems I am mistaken. My apologies. Thank you to both @zoya faberov and @Gurpreet for answers, they very were very informative and also accepted by client. I have since then also advised the client not to hesitate using the Q&A themselves, as it is a valuable tool at their disposal.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.