For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
9 1 0 2

Websocket connection failed

Hi Team,

I asked this question on behalf of one of our customers in Hong Kong, who is testing RTMDS. They tried to connect to

ws://159.220.108.207:8101/WebSocket

ws://159.220.108.207:8101/hEDD

but they encountered an error during handshake: 'connection was forcibly closed by the remote host'.

They are now asking whether RTMDS server has restrictions on client's IPs?

And could you also advise how to resolve this?

Thanks,

Leo

elektron
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @leo.wu01 ,

Is the client connecting to their local RTMDS via websocket?

If yes, would suggest to confirm with their local Market Data admin/team if this is the correct IP address, and port to connect (default websocket port for ADS/RTDS connection is 15000, whereas 8101 is the default legacy SSL port) and if websocket connectivity is enabled on the local RTDS - it is not mandatory to enable websocket connectivity on RTDS.

Please see Websocket API: Quick Start - Connecting to Refinitiv Real-Time Distribution System for quick step-by-step on how to connect.

Upvotes
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @leo.wu01

As my colleague pointed out, port 8101 is not the normal Websocket Port - certainly on RTMDS I would expect it to be configured as 15000.

Can you confirm if they are seeing the above error using a working Websocket API example such as websocket-api/market_price.py at master · Refinitiv/websocket-api (github.com) - with the correct port 15000?

If so, this question is best directed to the RTMDS team - as they would know best about restrictions etc or why the connection is forcibly closed.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @leo.wu01

I would also recommend the customer actually work through some basic Websocket API tutorials - it will save them much time in the long run.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24.4k 53 17 14

Hello @leo.wu01

While my colleagues already provided insightful information about the WebSocket port and resources that the client can check further, the client's Market data team can use the RTMDS testclient tool to verify the WebSocket connection too.

Please see more detail on this How to test the WebSocket connection with the Infrastructure testclient tool article.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
9 1 0 2

Hi @umer.nalla @zoya faberov and @wasin.w

Thanks to all of you! I have sent your recommendations on port number and those useful links to customer.

Regards,

Leo

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.