question

Upvotes
244 15 13 17

CommunicationException/NoSuchRic errors when using Eikon.NET TimeSeries API on Eikon 4.0.35+

I have an application which uses the Eikon .NET TimeSeries API to get both daily and intraday timeseries data. The application works fine on Eikon up through 4.0.34. On 4.0.35+, one of two strange behaviors happen:

If I link ThomsonReuters.Desktop.API.DataAccess.Signed version 1.8.1 (dependent on ThomsonReuters.Udap.Ipc.Signed 2.9.0), my program will frequently hang silently waiting for a request to come back from Reuters. If I run the code through the VS debugger, I receive the following uncaught exception, thrown apparently on an internal Reuters thread (since I catch all exceptions in my code, and yet this never gets passed to my exception handler):

ThomsonReuters.Udap.Ipc.Managed.Common.CommunicationException occurred

Message: Exception thrown: 'ThomsonReuters.Udap.Ipc.Managed.Common.CommunicationException' in ThomsonReuters.Udap.ManagedPS.dll

Additional information: An error occured on communication layer during RawTimeSeriesServiceProxyImpl.RequestData() method invocation. Please see inner exception for details.

If I update my Nuget packages to latest stable (DataAccess.Signed version 1.8.4 and Udap.Ipc.Signed 2.10.5), and request intraday data, I no longer get the uncaught exceptions. However, no matter what RIC I request (including obvious ones like MSFT.O), I receive a NoSuchRic error.

Again, this is code that works perfectly under 4.0.34. What is the preferred method of getting TimeSeries data to work under 4.0.35+ (it appears the current release is 4.0.38)?

Thanks,

David

eikoneikon-data-apieikon-app-studio
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I have moved this question to App Studio forum.

The case 05054780 has been raised to Eikon Support team.

Hello @davidk

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Follow up this problem with the customer, and extend its triage to be 1 week further.

Upvotes
78.8k 250 52 74

My example is running fine on Ekon 4.0.38536. It uses DataAccess 1.8.4 and Udap 2.10.5.

Please try this attached example. This example will create the debug log file (log.txt) in the working directory. If the problem still happens, please provide the log.txt file.

consoleapplication8.zip

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
244 15 13 17

I tried running your code-- please see my attached variant which downloads more names and views on intraday data. The behavior I'm seeing on 4.0.38 using your code linked to 1.8.4/2.10.5 is similar to what I was seeing in my code under 4.0.38 linked to 1.8.1/2.9.0-- seemingly normal behavior followed by a complete stop. However, I am not seeing the CommunicationException on the log-- the program just hangs indefinitely (following the last log entry on log_4038.txt, I waited 10 minutes with no activity before finally hitting Ctrl-C).

I have attached log output from both 4.0.34 (log_4034.txt) and 4.0.38 (log_4038.txt). You can see where the hang occurred under 4.0.38 and that 4.0.34 requested all the data.

bugrepro4038.zip

bugrepro4038.zip (206.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
78.8k 250 52 74

I have modified the sample code a bit by storing the ITimeSeriesDataRequest in the list so it will not be collected by Garbage Collector. The log looks okay. The service was up and running and the data requests were sent.

After running the example in my environment, it can retrieve the data properly but sometimes I got NoSuchRic errors for some items. It happens randomly.

Next, I think that we should verify TSI log files. Under Thomson Reuters Eikon - Configuration Manager, please make sure that Information, Data, and Error under TSI are checked. Then, please restart Eikon.

The TSI log files will be created under Eikon's log path/TSI, such as C:\ProgramData\Thomson Reuters\Eikon Data\Logs\TSI.

I need the application log and tsi.Service.xxxx.log when the problem occurred.

tsi.png (46.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

I have the TSI log from the app, but it is 123 MB uncompressed, 13.5 MB zipped. This forum will only let me send files < 0.5 MB. What's the best way to get this to you? Our preferred method is if you have an SFTP server as we are blocked from dropbox/sendthisfile. We can upload to an unsecure FTP if need be, but it requires a special whitelist on our side, so SFTP would be easier if you have it. Or, conversely, since you're seeing issues with NoSuchRic yourself and that's the kind of thing I saw before, perhaps you could just generate the logs your side?

@davidk

You can use https://thomsonreuters.sendthisfile.com to send the TSI log and log.txt files to me (jirapongse.phuriphanvichai@thomsonreuters.com).

I need those files to confirm the problem.

Hello @davidk,

Does this problem still persist currently?

davidk avatar image   davidk Nipat Kunvutipongsak

This issue was fixed in Eikon version 4.0.40. Versions 4.0.35-4.0.39 had a memory bug in the TSI service. The Reuters JIRA bug listing was DCC-15039 and TSD-14605, support case 05054780.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.