question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 0 1

reporting standards for small decimal place currency

Hi,

I have tried extracting the exchange quotes for a list of countries using the python code below.

It seems like there is some inconsistency within reporting for some quotes of small currency.

i.e JPYEUR=R = 0.6660 and 0.0066 from refinitiv datasource and google respectively.

but are valid when currency rates are not small. i.e USDEUR.

0.94 and 0.94from refinitiv datasource and google respectively

I understand its a convention to normalise fx rate to prevent too many decimal places being reported.

However as I'm trying to calculate the cost of a good. Are there any methods that i could get the actual quote of a currency instead of normalised quote?

Many thanks.

import refinitiv.data as rd 
rd.get_history(universe=sublist,fields=['BID'], interval="1D",start=datetime.now() - timedelta(days=365),end=datetime.now())

#product#contentpython apiquote
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@shouldcost

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
5.7k 21 2 6

Hi @shouldcost, Our internal teams got back to me and we were able to find the field in question:

1685960314686.png

Please don't hesitate using DIB: https://developers.refinitiv.com/en/video-catalog/data-item-browser

1685960314686.png (128.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
5.7k 21 2 6

Hi @shouldcost,

The reason why we show FX Spot rates in this manner is because of Forward rates when expressed in points. E.g.: if the JPYEUR=R rate is 0.6668 and the Forward point based quoted rate (FwdPBQRate) is 9, then convention dictates that we add the FwdPBQRate to the last digit of the quoted FX Spot rate (here the Forward 'normalized' rate is 0.6668 + 0.0009 = 0.6677). Note that this applies even when the FwdPBQRate is 'large', e.g.: 149, such that the Forward 'normalized' rate is 0.6668 + 0.0149 = 0.6817. You may also be interested in reading this thread too.

With that said, I don't know if there is a field for the 'peg' (which in this case is 100 (or 0.01)), and this forum is for API/tech questions, not content questions, so I asked your question on your behalf on my.refinitiv, number 12621013. You ought to be contacted about this ticket. If you are given an answer on my.refinitiv's forum, please do revert back to this Developer Community Q&A Forum to provide the answer for future users as reference, it would be very much appreciated.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.