Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
39 2 5 6

Move from Eikon to Refinitiv Data Library?

Hi, My company is switching from Eikon to Refinitiv Workspace, and so I'm taking stock of whether I should start focusing on the Refinitiv Data Library API instead of the Eikon API. I use Python, and coding is not my main job.

Is there a good reason to make the switch? Does one have better features and data than the other? Is Refinitiv Data Library fully developed?

Does the Refinitiv Data Library API require me to have Workspace running on the same machine? I'd love not need to run the desktop app.

I've gotten to know the Eikon API pretty well, and I'm sure learning the ins and outs of RDL will take a good amount of effort. I'm happy to do that, but I'd like to have a clear reason for switching.

Thanks

eikonpython#product
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
25.1k 57 17 14

Hello @noel.randewich01

I am assuming that the Eikon API that you mentioned is the Eikon Data API (pip install eikon, import eikon as ek).

If so, the Refinitiv Data Library for Python is the superset of the Eikon Data API with more features and more connections supported. The library has Eikon Data API package (import refinitiv.data.eikon as ek) as follows:

1692759755242.png

The Library also has the "Platform session" that can connect to the Refinitiv Data Planform (RDP) and Refinitiv Real-Time Optimized (RTO) without needing the Workspace to run parallel in the same machine.

• Note: The "Desktop session" and the refinitiv.data.eikon still needs Workspace to run in the same time

You can find more detail on the Quick Start page.

1692759755242.png (28.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I was referring to Eikon Data API.

To dig a bit further, does the Refinitiv Data Library give access to any data that I can't get through the Eikon Data API? For example, I know that anything I can see in the Data Item Browser in the Eikon desktop app, I can get through the Eikon Data API. Is there additional data available through Refinitiv Data Library that is not in the DIB? (I would love to be able to directly access company event transcripts).

I have Googled around looking for a side-by-side comparison of the features of the two APIs, but have not found anything. It would be great if such a comparison existed.

Upvotes
25.1k 57 17 14

Hello @noel.randewich01

### If you are using the Desktop Session ###

If you are connecting using a desktop session to Eikon or Workspace via RD Library - the same limit as Eikon API applies - as the RD Library is mimicking the Eikon API and still sourcing its data from Eikon.

### If you are using the Platform Session ###

Please note that the RD library that not using a Desktop session cannot always access the same data as a Desktop session e.g. the TR. fields. This is mostly due to 3rd party license/usage rules which only allow some data to be used on a Desktop.

However, the Platform Session gets data from the Refinitiv Data Platform APIs services which has data/service that not available on a Desktop such as:

• CFS Bulk file
  • Analytics
  • Search APIs
  • etc

I suggest you contact your Refinitiv Representative or Account Manager to verify the data you need, then choose which session (Desktop or Platform) is the right one for you.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.