Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 0 3

Tracking Error

I am trying to get the tracking error item ("TR.FundTrackingError1Year") taken from the data item browser over an extended period

The code below just gives me the last available value for item "TR.FundTrackingError1Year".

1. Is there a way to obtain the time series? I think "TR.FundTrackingError1Year" is just a static value?
  2. Which formula has been used to obtain the "TR.FundTrackingError1Year", haven't been able to reproduce the results
ric = ['IVV','SPY'] # example
fields = ["TR.CUSIP", "TR.FundTrackingError1Year"]
params = {'DateType': 'XD', 'SDate' : '1993-01-01', 'EDate' : '2023-12-31'}
fund_data = rd.get_data(ric,fields, params)
refinitiv-dataplatform-eikon#contentpython apidataDownload
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
1.7k 3 3 4

Hi @lanzani.juli, As @raksina.samasiri pointed out, if you need the formula or business rules, it is better to raise to the customer support. For you questions about the time-series availability, I think you mean the historical data, and that is only available on the Lipper for Investment Management (Lipper IM) desktop services at this stage. Because Lipper IM use the user's calculation parameters, including time periods settings, to calculate the results on-the-fly.

About the formula, Lipper should be using the standard formular for Tracking Error and it uses "log returns" for the calculation by default. I got the values in Lipper IM that matches the Workspace API which is as of end of June. So, it is the latest 1-year period as of the latest month-end.

The value I got for the IVV is 0.002869552. Using the Audit Details in Lipper IM shows me the formula that it uses monthly "excess return" (monthly total return of the fund - monthly total return of the benchmark index). Then the result is just the standard deviation (sample) for these 12 data points.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
15.3k 32 5 10

Hi @lanzani.juli ,

Checked in Data Item Browser (DIB), the available output of this field doesn't contain 'date' and considered from the field description, the historical data of this field is not available

1719892030368.png

To check if the timeseries of the same data is available, as the moderators on this forum are expertise on Refinitiv APIs usage. However, they do not have deep expertise in every type of content available. Such expertise is available through Refinitiv Helpdesk, which can be reached via MyAccount and the support team is going to contact you soon to assist with this.

Hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any further questions

1719892030368.png (53.4 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.