question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 1 1 2

Automating Excel Eikon data feed

Hi,

I currently extract historic data from Excel Eikon, which updates when the excel file has been opened. I am looking to automate this process, so I can prompt this excel to be update in the morning using VBS.

However, when I try to get this file to open, the set script doesn't update. Any help on how I can make this work? Or any alternative method I should be using for this?

Example of the data being extracted is: =RHistory("LCOc1",B1:C1,"START:01JAN05 NBROWS:3650 INTERVAL:1D",,"CH:In;Fd",B2)

eikoneikon-data-apieikon-com-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @guy.thompson

I'm afraid from your description I only get the vaguest idea of what you're trying to achieve and the issue you faced in the process. Would you care to share your script that "doesn't update" and/or provide a detailed description of what you're looking to do, the steps you undertook to achieve this and the exact replication procedure for the issue you experienced? Otherwise I'm afraid it's practically impossible to give you any advice.

Hi @Alex Putkov.

Using the Excel Eikon feature I have built an instrument feed (using "Build Formula" which updates every time the spreadsheet is opened (an example of this script was provided in my initial post). This is used daily to look at daily movement in the market (closed positions). I am looking to automate this file, so it checks that the Reuters Excel Add-in is currently active (which was completed, using the Synchronizarion Manager example). This didn't seem to update, but I believe I have solved this now. But was wondering if there was any better methods I could use?

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Hi @guy.thompson

There are numerous alternatives. You could create your own custom application eliminating the need to use Excel. You could replace RHistory worksheet function with RHistory API and perform all data retrieval in Excel VBA. You could use MACRO Refresh parameter in RHistory worksheet function to launch a macro when the function finished retrieving/refreshing the data. Whether any of this is a "better method" is totally subjective and solely depends on what criteria defines better method for you.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ok thanks for the feedback @Alex Putkov

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.