Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
23 7 2 9

Alternatives to Python?

Hello,

Will there be dedicated wrappers for other environments than python? If so, is there any timeline?

Is it possible to communicate with the proxy via HTTP/websocket? If so, could you point me to any documentation?

Thank you

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apihttp
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@tomas.kourim
Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.
Thanks
AHS

Upvote
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

I'm afraid the answer by @zoya.farberov is not quite fully accurate.
The strategy is indeed to provide REST API for request/response and Websocket API for streaming data retrieval via Eikon API Proxy. While the REST API is what underlies Eikon Python library, it is not yet documented for external consumption outside of Thomson Reuters. And the Websockets API is not ready yet altogether.

On top of these REST and Websockets APIs we intend to have a number of open source ease of use libraries similar to the existing Eikon Python library for a bunch of most popular development environments. Eikon Python library is the only one that will be officially supported by Thomson Reuters. The rest of them will be community owned. The first example of such library is the library for R, which is already available on GitHub.
https://github.com/ahmedmohamedali/eikonapir

Later on we plan to seed more of these libraries for other popular dev environments such as Matlab, .NET, Java. This is aspirational at the moment, there's no definitive list of libraries to be introduced or timeline to introduce them. If anyone wants to start a new library on GitHub for any of the dev environments I mentioned or any I did not mention, you'd be very welcome once the underlying REST and Websockets APIs are launched.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Currently, there is no plans to provide dedicated libraries other then Eikon Python.

Please refer to the Reference section to explore the available functionality and to the

Tutorials section for the best way to start working with Eikon Scripting Proxy

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.