question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 3 2 6

Difference between NIP and Posting

Can someone advise what are the differences between Non-interactive Publisher and Consumer Posting ?

I see both can contribute the data to TREP

treprfarfa-apipostingnon-interactive-provider
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
78.2k 246 52 72

Yes, both can contribute the data to TREP.

1. Posting is used by consumers to push content into any cache within the TREP. Consumers connect to ADS and then use OMM post messages to post the content. The posting capability offers optional acknowledgments per posted message. The two types of posting are:

• On-Stream Post: Before a client application can send an On-Stream Post, the client must first open (request) a data stream for an item. After the data stream is opened, the client application can then send a post. The route of the post is determined by the route of the data stream.
  • Off-Stream Post: In an Off-Stream Post, the client application can send a post for an item via a login stream, regardless of whether a data stream first exists. The route of the post is determined by the configuration of the TREP.

Moreover, posting also supports OMM-Based Contributions. Through such posting, clients can contribute data to a device on the head-end or a custom-provider. In the following example, the OMM consumer sends an OMM post to the ATS Application or Elektron. The traffic of posting flows from bottom to top.

2. Non-Interactive Provider is a broadcast-publishing type of provider. Its main purpose is to make their services available to consumers through TREP infrastructure components. Typically, Non-Interactive Providers connect to ADH in order to publish the data. After it connects to TREP, it will start sending information for any supported item and domain. The main benefit of this scenario is that all publishing traffic flows from top to bottom: the way a system normally expects updating data to flow.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Am I right in surmising that posting can only add / edit RICs on an existing service (cache) with its own provider, while setting up your own provider allows (requires?) the creation of a dedicated service?

EG, I can use posting to add internal RICs to my existing ELEKTRON_DD service, but if I want to have a dedicated internal service, I need to set up a provider and configure ADH to source a separate service from that?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.