question

Upvotes
Accepted
38 3 2 7

XML Payload over OMM

Hi all. I'm working on an application that will deliver many different types of Market Data (Interest rate curves, EOD prices etc) to interested clients. We'd like to use RFA / OMM. It seems to me that the best method would be publish this data as an XML payload and let the client parse it. Is OMM suitable for this? If so, how? What would be your approach?

treprfarfa-apiOMMxmljson-payload
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
665 3 5 6

Hi @RicknBaker

It is an unusual approach, a more integrated approach would perform a translation of XML to OMM, see the description in the Mapping FIX to OMM White Paper.

If you publish data in XML format then it is effectively opaque data; the infrastructure cache cannot apply updates to it. If update semantics are required you would disable caching in the infrastructure and implement it in the publisher and consumer.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
21.8k 57 14 21

Hi @RicknBaker

OMM Generic messages can carry custom payload including XML, although best approach would be to publish your data in OMM domain messages. There are some predefined RDM like YIELD_CURVE (22), which might be a suitable structure for your application, or else, there is the ability to define your custom models.

Also, Elektron API's are recommended for any new projects.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
38 3 2 7

Thanks for the info guys. As our data will be so disparate (Over 35 different types) and as it won't update very often, I'm thinking I might just use OMM to notify the consumer that new data is available, and then provide a REST interface that the consumer can call to get the actual data. Does this seem sensible?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
21.8k 57 14 21

I would avoid double interaction - when the client is already listening for updates, might as well deliver the payload in the update message as well.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
665 3 5 6

I agree with Gurpreet, the additional interaction/dependency may also have a negative impact on resilience of your application.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.