Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 2

If I am trying to convert tickers to RIC's which Eikon Api do I need?

I am trying to convert Bloomberg tickers to RIC's. I will be doing to conversion in python. I have seen that get.data() and get.symbology() are the methods other people are using. But under what API and library do those exist?

Thanks

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiricssymbology
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

There's no mapping between Bloomberg and Thomson Reuters symbology. The symbology you can use in Eikon includes Thomson Reuters RICs and PermIDs, stock (aka exchange) tickers, security identifiers such as ISINs, Cusips, Sedols, Wertpapierkennnummers, Valorens and numerous other local security identifier schemes. But it does not include Bloomberg symbols.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi Alex, thank for the response. So to access this symbology mapping is there a specific Eikon API required?

All data retrieval APIs in Eikon: COM, .NET and the most modern Eikon Data APIs provide symbology conversion capability. The only caveat is that symbol to RIC (as opposed to the other way around) conversion in .NET is only useful for stocks, but not for fixed income instruments. Eikon COM and Eikon Data APIs provide full service of symbology conversion for the symbology schemes available in Eikon.

Upvotes
1 1 1 2

So it is possible to convert Bloomberg tickers to RIC tickers, you have to first convert your Bloomberg tickers to ISIN tickers using =BDP("ticker", "ID_ISIN") in excel. Then take that new list and use eikon.get_symbology() to convert these tickers into RIC tickers.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.