Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
104 8 10 13

get_symbology exists with error instead of silently

I have a loop going through a list of ISIN/SEDOL names I want converted to RICs. Once it encounters an ISIN it deems invalid I get an error as below and the loop exists.

Error in print.default("HTTP Error, code= ", response$status_code, sep = "") : 
  invalid 'digits' argument 

I tried using a try clause with the silent option on but the get_symbology stops working after the first fail and the following code gives me NAs for all calls after the first error. If I do the calls one by one for each ISIN the commands work properly but I have a long list and want the loop to work.

RIC_vec <- vector("character",length = N)
for (i in 1:N) {
  RIC_ID <- try(get_symbology(comps[i,2][[1]],
                          from_symbol_type = "ISIN",
                          to_symbol_type = "RIC"),silent=T)
  print(i)
  if ("RIC" %in% names(RIC_ID)) {
    RIC_vec[i] <- RIC_ID[1,2]} 
  else {
    RIC_vec[i] <- NA}
} 

I'm using the eikonapir package in R.

Thanks,

Claudiu

eikonpythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiricsreikon-data-api-r
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@claudiu

From the problem statement, you got the error when calling the get_symbology function with a list of ISIN symbols. However, it works fine if it is called one by one.

Please share a list of symbols used by the application and let me know how many symbols in each request.

@claudiu
Thank you for your participation in the forum. Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply that best answers your question. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.
Thanks,
-AHS

@claudiu
Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.
Thanks,
-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@claudiu
In order to understand what's going on here we need a way of reproducing the issue on our end. Would you be able to provide a complete sample code that reliably recreates the issue for you and that we could run to reproduce it? I just tried to simulate the issue by including an invalid ISIN in the character vector and running the code below.

> isins = c("US0378331005","akuebfkn","FR0000121501")
> for (i in 1:3) {
+     print(isins[i])
+     RIC <- try(get_symbology(isins[i],
+         from_symbol_type = "ISIN",to_symbol_type = "RIC"),silent=T)
+     print(i)
+     print(RIC)
+ }

The code ran gracefully as expected and produced the following output

[1] "US0378331005"
[1] 1
        Symbol    RIC
1 US0378331005 AAPL.O
[1] "akuebfkn"
[1] 2
    Symbol                   error
1 akuebfkn No best match available
[1] "FR0000121501"
[1] 3

I also tried to replicate the issue you describe by forcing get_symbology method to return an error. For this purpose I used invalid app key in set_app_id method. Again I couldn't reproduce the behavior you describe. In this test case every get_symbology call failed, but the loop ran all the way through thanks to try function.
It might be helpful to print the try-error object to understand what happens on your end.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
104 8 10 13

To clarify, the error is for calling get_symbology with one ISIN item only. It is done in a loop, see code example above, each time with single ISIN. The error fails at different times during the loop if run several times so it may be a connectivity or response from server issue. The ISINs are OK since I manage to call get_symbology directly (not in loop) on the "failed" ISIN and get a correct answer. The question is if this is some server related issue how to workaround it and why doesn't the get_symbology command fail gracefully instead of exiting the program?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.